Dying Acer

• 9 Replies

Gardener Girl

• Experienced Member
Dying Acer
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:16 »
I have an Acer palmatum in a pot which until about a month ago seemed quite happy. I watered it everyday and all was well. At first one half of plants leaves all crinkled up and died and now the other half have done the same. It is not a very big Acer and I had repotted it late last year.

Does anyone know what has happened and what should I do next?
Do they have a short life?

I have another acer again in a pot which is larger and that seems fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Dying Acer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:08 »
The Japanese Acers are essentially woodland plants so with only a few exceptions don't like to be in full sun, nor exposed to strong winds. Young plants are more susceptible to adverse conditions than older plants.

I have an red Acer palmatum dissectum which I first planted in the front garden (cold Northerly winds, leaves scorched white) then in a sunny place in the back garden (too sunny, ditto) and for the last 3 years it has lived much more happily hiding behind some bamboo and sheltered by a tall hedge (it's probably just grateful to be left alone!)

Now tell me your plants are grown side-by-side!   :nowink:

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:27 »
I grow a lot of acers in planters and this ocassionally happens. 

Totally agree about them loving the shade or semi shade.  They also hate being in a windy position as this tends to burn the leaves, then they dry up and die.

If your leaves have dried up I wonder if you've under watered them, something as simple as that.  It could be over-watering and you could have poor drainage - make sure there is plenty of rubble in the bottom of the pot.  Also they like to have ericaceous compost or half and half with your usual compost as this helps the leaves get their fabulous colour.

They can be a bit temperamental when in pots, good foliage one year and poor the next but don't throw it away as it should come good again next year.  It's just had an early autumn!

Gardener Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 13:02 »
Hi Jay G & Bizzie Lizzie,

Yes Jay G both acers were grown side by side, in shade and sheltered from strong winds, both watered reguarly and have good drainage in the pots, I agree with you Bizzie Lizzie, I think that I have had an early autumn. I will leave it alone now and repot in the spring. I always leave things that are not doing so well as it is amazing what mother nature can do and most things come back.

Thanks for your help.

GG

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 17:45 »
I d know that acers in pots don't like being re-planted in too big a new pot. Is that what you might have done last year?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Gardener Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 20:28 »
Hi Goose girl,

No I did'nt put it in too larger pot, in fact it was only about one size bigger than the previous one. I think I will leave it alone and see what happens in the spring.

sion01

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 21:19 »
I had one in a pot and for two years running all the leaves fell off within a couple of days well before autumn .I finally discovered that my kids were being 'helpfull' and watering it when I was at work.They drenched the leaves in full hot sun >:(.After thretening to shoot father Christmas they left it alone.
They scorch very easily(acers not the kids) so be very carefull when watering

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 16:09 »
we have over 20 acers in pots of various sizes, ages range from 28 years, which i grew from seed to 2 years old, last year we lost 5, of various ages, same symptoms, they just died, we have lost 2 this year, all were the smaller ones, but they are on the patio, well watered, afternoon sun.

i tried to find out why, but could not, just seemed to happen.

Bizzi Lizzi

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 11:25 »
It looks as if keeping acers in a pot is, forgive the pun, pot-luck, but I hope the bits of advice have helped.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 18:09 »
Did the leaves have small black marks on them?

Sometimes a fungus called Acer Tar Spot can cause early leaf fall  :unsure:

You could gather up all the fallen leaves and burn them/ bin them just in case it was somehting like that, to prevent reinfection next year  :blink: :blink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
dying acer trees

Started by grumpydad on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 21:44
by grumpydad
xx
Acer

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 10:29
by sunshineband
xx
acer

Started by davidmw on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 23:01
by chrissie B
xx
Acer problem

Started by David C on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 14:34
by Runwell-Steve

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.