How much space is needed per pig?

• 7 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
How much space is needed per pig?
« on: January 31, 2012, 17:32 »
Im thinking of getting a couple of pigs. We have nearly 2 acres but I would like to use most of the space for veg growing. Could I keep 2 pigs on half an acre? If they had piglets would I need to enlarge the area? Do I need to rotate them around the land?

We have an area at the back of 2 barns but unfortunately it doesnt get alot of sunlight. It seems ideal for pigs as half of it is trees and the other half grass. I heard pigs like trees and digging around in the roots  :wub:
Should I extend the are out so they get sunlight? Rahter than being in a shadow caused by the barns?

Thanks for any advice

kegs

compostqueen

Re: How much space is needed per pig?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 17:45 »
You can do short courses on management of pigs. It would be a good idea to know what you're on with if you want to look after them properly  :)

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 21:12 »
Thanks for the replies, I did read the link from kegs previous to posting this but am looking for that nitty gritty kinda info without the need for shelling out money for a course. Im just getting into farming so I guess ive got to be tight with my money if I want to be a real famrer  :tongue2:
We have just moved to the property/land so still have plenty of time to decide what we want to do with it.

I read something earlier about pigs needing to be kept out of the sun and that some owners put suncream on their pigs. So with that said would the shadowed area behind my barns be ok? and will I need to rotate the pig area around my land or can it stay put?

I understand the need for strong fencing and am rigging up my own electric fence for the chicken coop so it wouldnt hurt to rig up some for some potential pigs. Also is the two pigs per half acre a legal regulation? Im still unsure what happens if they have piglets, would I need to add a quarter of an acre per one?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 21:16 »
Thanks for the replies, I did read the link from kegs previous to posting this but am looking for that nitty gritty kinda info without the need for shelling out money for a course. Im just getting into farming so I guess ive got to be tight with my money if I want to be a real famrer  :tongue2:

I appreciate that your comment was slightly tongue in cheek but if you want to be farmer the most important thing is that you fully understand your responsibilities for the welfare and husbandry of any livestock - and you shouldn't cut corners with that.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 21:24 »
The good info you get on this forum is no substitute for learning how to do it properly on a course.  You can keep pigs in a shed up until slaughter or you can give them a good healthy life.  You pays your money, you makes your choice.
Cheese makes everything better.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 21:37 »
most farmers go to agricultural college and get degrees in a farming subject. For back yard pig keepers you can do a short day course which is not expensive but will provide you with the necessary confidence to go ahead. They should also be able to point you to where you can get all the information you need, including all about the paperwork, slap marking etc   :). Good luck with your venture
Staffies are softer than you think.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 16:35 »
Thanks for the replies guys n gals. I shall buy a book on keeping pigs and look into the courses. I have a CPH number on the way as of yesterday. Exciting times  :D

xx
how big a space you need

Started by prakash_mib on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 19:07
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Pigs and space?

Started by Boonoff on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 09:28
by joyfull

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 39 queries.