how high

• 14 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
how high
« on: April 21, 2011, 23:55 »
How high should you mound up spuds in the ground?

cheers
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
Re: how high
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:10 »
Thats a real hard question i personaly from the level go about a foot to 16 inches others dont bother  ???  i think this will be a good debate  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:10 »
Start earthing up when the stems (haulms) first get to 6-8 inches above the ground then keep them earthed up so that only a couple of inches of haulm are showing above the soil.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:34 »
I'm in the 'only earth up once' camp. Height depends on exactly when I do it, which is usually determined by weatherforecast/frosts.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:58 »
I've read and seen lots of different ways of approaching this. The one I'm trying this year is based on what a local farmer did with a field of potatoes last year.

The potatoes were planted and the earth mounded up about 15" over them and then left. Then he harvested them.

Subsequently I've found out thats what my Brother in law does on his plot. Says it works well. I assume that it will take the shoots longer to start showing but hey, the frosts will be over by then, fingers crossed.

Regards, WG

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 09:06 »
I agree with Argyllie and Swing Swang; it's the top growth which feeds the tubers to so it needs to be in the light, but it is also frost-tender so must be covered up if frost threatens.

The other purpose of earthing up is to partly bury the stems and also cover the developing tubers which improves the yield and stops tubers going green by making sure no light gets to them.

Bit of a balancing act really, with one eye firmly fixed on the local weather forecasts!  :)

Just read Weston grower's post; never tried that but would imagine farmers don't have time to earth up more than once. Don't fancy the idea of burying mine 15" deep or more; surely it must slow them down (possibly used for main crops rather than earlies?)  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:26 »
My spuds have about 3 inches of top growth at the mo and I won't cover it for a while .....unless a frost is forecast.
Then later, as Jay says, they will get mounded up a bit to stop the tubers greening as they form.

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:59 »
Earthing up used to be the way farmers controlled weeds but now a residual weedkiller is applied to the soil surface which means that the soil must not be disturbed. It also means that the initail mounds have to be to full height when they are planted.

Earthing up several times is still a good way to control weeds on a garden scale. Each time the soil is disturbed it encourages more weeds to germinate which are then killed by the next earthing up. Potatoes are a great way to reduce the number of weed seeds in the soil.

How high do you earth up? Earth up until you run out of soil.

Many potatoes are emerging early due to the warm weather. Where it is usually possible to protect the tops by earthing up until all frosts have passed this year is going to be difficult. I hope you have plenty of fleece.

JohnB47

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 14:51 »
Start earthing up when the stems (haulms) first get to 6-8 inches above the ground then keep them earthed up so that only a couple of inches of haulm are showing above the soil.

Er.. really? The stems on my spuds grow to about 30" tall (or more - I've never actually measured them).

There isn't enough soil on my plot to earth them up as you say. I earth mine up until the mound is around 10" high, then leave it. I get a few spuds with green patches but not many.

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 15:25 »
If you want more soil for earthing up plant in wider rows to start with.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 15:34 »
If you want more soil for earthing up plant in wider rows to start with.

.......or do it the way MoS does (and me too this year!) and plant the spuds in a trench so you've got a ready-made pile of earthing up soil already alongside!  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 17:28 »
and another advantage of doing it this way is that the soil is still damp that far down ;)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 18:13 »
think it would depend on how much space you want to give up to the spuds to grow. piling more soil would mean the mound would be wide. best thing to do is dig up the soil at ground level making it soft and uncompressed then mound up the soil then plant your chitted spud 2 or 3 inches below into the  mound. spuds would grow in the mound and into the soil below ground level. others plant the spud into the level ground and mound soil on top as it grows up. both ways are acceptable.

fatcat1955

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 22:06 »
Read somewhere that if you cover by more than 6ins the growth is checked, they will recover but harvest will be later.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 00:04 »
I was told that as soon as you see the leaves poking through to cover them and keep doing that but wasn't told how high to mound. Is it wrong covering the leaves as they are still pushing through the soil I put on top?

Cheers Bill

xx
HIGH'S AND LOW'S

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post December 20, 2017, 12:24
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Peas-how high?

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 20:44
by peapod
xx
Just had high praise...

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 11:49
by muntjac
xx
veg high in protein

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 08:55
by New shoot

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 40 queries.