Any advice please - Sick Hen

• 4 Replies

Roger Millen

Any advice please - Sick Hen
« on: January 05, 2010, 15:07 »
Has anyone any suggestions? This morning I found blood splashes in the coop. There are no obvious injuries on any of my 6 hens, but one of them is not eating and somewhat lethargic. I have seperated it from the others. Its' droppings are dark green. It is normally my most active and adventurous hen.

themagicaltoad1

Re: Any advice please - Sick Hen
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 21:48 »
Have you check her vent? you'll need to identify where the blood is coming from before the other chickens do, the sight of blood apparently turns them into monsters who will attack the injured hen. I think green poo can be a sign of worms, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to give you more advice soon.

chooksbury

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 22:17 »
Not an expert .. but   green mutes mean stress don't they ? Is something upsetting her ?  As for the blood splashes, you really do need to isolate the source.  Blood in the mutes is one of the symptoms of coccidiosis.  Its not shed intestinal lining is it ?  go have a look at Aunt Sally's poo information sticky on useful stickies .... invaluable.  good luck !  And let us all know what it was when you find out, so we can add to our experience ! 

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 23:50 »
check toes/toe nails.  I once looked all over for the source of blood, and found one chook had pulled out a nail, leaving just the quick exposed. The cold will stop the bleeding quite quickly, but it must be very,very painful.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 01:42 »
Are the droppings blood tinged or is the blood unconnected with the droppings?  If the blood splashes are seperate it is likely that it is from one of their combs.  A small nick on the comb can result in a lot of blood from a small barely noticable wound.  If you find a wound treat with Gentian Purple spray to disinfect it and discourage pecking.

The lethargic bird with green droppings could be unconnected and sounds the most serious issue here. Green droppings can be caused by eating a toxin for example from a mouldy feed.  Is it runny and if so you need to ensure she's not going to suffer from dehydration.  You can make an effective electrolyte drink from a solution of 2ml salt substitute (potassium chloride), 3ml baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), 5ml salt (sodium chloride), 10ml glucose (optional) in 1 litre of water given in place of drinking water for seven days.  Chx also like apple cider vinegar so adding unrefined ACV 10ml per 1 - 2 litres of water will encourage drinking too.  Green dropping can be as a result of several infections also.  It's also possible that she has been bullied and is in shock.

You probably need to tell us a little more about your chx for example what breed are they , how old, have they been wormed regularly and with what, what do you feed them on, any past history of disease etc as well as any additional symptoms.  For now keep her quiet and as warm and comfortable as possible and well fed on her normal staple diet don't start giving her magic potions or unfamiliar treet feeds which won't encourage her appetite.  If there's a treat she likes which will tempt her to eat such as corn or a cereal mash then that won't hurt.  If she weakens or deteriorates or still isn't eating take her to a vet.

Regards
HF                                 
Truth through science.

xx
Very Sick Hen, Advice please

Started by twins on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 09:00
by Sassy
xx
Sick hen advice please

Started by richyrich7 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 11:03
by richyrich7
question
Sick Vera....any advice?

Started by joodith on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 16:24
by joodith
xx
Advice on Culling a sick Hen

Started by Prod on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 09:12
by Casey76

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.