Westwood Gemini Rotavator Service

• 2 Replies

SimonIG10

Westwood Gemini Rotavator Service
« on: July 14, 2012, 14:02 »
Hi All. newbie here. Just bought a Westwood Gemini from Ebay and after an oil change (inc emptying about a pint of water from the thing) and carb clean it started fine. I have ordered a bew belt as the old one was perished but am unsure how the clutch/jockey wheel works. When you tug on the lever the jockey wheel moves towards you and tensions the belt. However, the tines seem to turn even when the jockey wheel is not tensioning.I also noticed that the motor pulley moves in/out on the keyed shaft. The belt is old and may not even be the corect one. I assume that the pulleys are meant to just slip on the belt until the idler tensions it.
I suspect all of this is normal but thought I would check.
It has a 98cc Suffolk engine fitted. Do you take the oil level on the dipstick when it is fully inserted in the engine or when it is only partly in (where it splits).
New air filter, spark plug, correct oil, belt and grips on order then off to he plot (when it stops raining). Will a machine of this size realistically turn over undug heavy soil?

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Westwood Gemini Rotavator Service
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 15:31 »
I’m not all that familiar with the Westwood but I think yours will be a re-badged Templair. The crankshaft pulley should line up with the chaincase pulley and be fixed in place by a grubscrew. Some sort of belt guide should be in place behind the crankshaft pulley, this makes the belt form a loop round the pulley and stops the pulley from gripping the belt when the clutch is released. The Suffolk engine is a bit small but you may be able to turn the plot over using the inner rotors only to start with, before going over the plot again, deeper and with all four rotors in place.
R Tallentire

dorimower

• Experienced Member
Re: Westwood Gemini Rotavator Service
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 18:46 »
The Gemini was a close cousin of the Flymo DM.   Gemini has Suffolk 98G14 engine  whilst the DM had B&S 3hp.  handles attached via head bolts

Suffolk engines have an oil capacity of half a pint. The dipstick should be fully inserted and the engine set to be level to take the oil reading.

I have a feeling that the very close fitting belt guard may have acted a little like a belt guide to keep the belt in shape around, but clear of, the pulley when out of drive.

"Dori"

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 18:51 by dorimower »

xx
westwood gemini rotavator spares?

Started by jeff-lincs on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 11:50
by jeff-lincs
xx
Westwood Gemini

Started by cornerhouse on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 17:06
by dorimower
question
westwood gemini rotovator

Started by pluggy on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 00:11
by pluggy
xx
Westwood Rotavator

Started by summer of love on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 18:38
by summer of love

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.