Is vaccination essential?

• 3 Replies

Mr R Design

Is vaccination essential?
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:30 »
I recently lost my Barnevelder and am looking for a companion of a similar age to keep my two 20 month old Welsummers company.

My parents live in farming country and their neighbours have numerous fully grown chickens toddling about that I can have the pick of. They keep them as pets, they are not kept for commercial reasons or in a commercial environment.

They are not vaccinated and Google varies as to whether this actually matters or not for backyard chickens so I am in a bit of a quandary. What opinions do people on here have?

(I am in the West Midlands, UK)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:32 by Mr R Design »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Is vaccination essential?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:11 »
If you know they have come from an environment where there have been no disease problems, I would go for it.  Its a bit different with the large scale breeders.  Vaccination is needed just because they have so many birds around and any spread of disease can be devastating.

None of mine have been vaccinated, but they came from small scale breeders where everything was healthy and well cared for  :)

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 22:03 »
Only one of mine is from bought stock all the rest were hatched. I doubt Bluey was vaccinated and the rest would cost a lot to have had them done.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:42 »
If you know where they have come from and operate good housekeeping vaccination should not be necessary. You cannot vaccinate at any time anyway. Most vaccinations have to be done in the first few days/weeks of a chicks life.
Vaccination does not stop the disease in every case. As previously stated it is really for commercial situations where 'overcrowding' by back yard standards is the norm. There is no prevent all situation.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Essential oils and chickens

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:59
by evie2
xx
Is it essential to regularly move a chicken run?

Started by flowerpot on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 10:42
by cathangirl
xx
What type of chicken for a first timer and what essential items do we need?

Started by debih on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 16:41
by debih
xx
Vaccination

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 09:10
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 40 queries.