manuring a plot to grow onions

• 5 Replies

jambop

manuring a plot to grow onions
« on: December 25, 2013, 09:30 »

What is the fact about growing onions on ground that has manure just incorporated into it? I have some year old farmyard manure and was going to use this to beef up my onion patch but have just read a seed catalogue instruction saying don't grow onions on freshly manured soil. I would have thought year old manure would not have much nitrogen in it anymore. Can someone clarify the situation for me ? Living in France the soil I have is great when at the prefect moisture level but having quite a high clay content dries like brick in the summer I was hoping the addition of plenty of manure over the years would help to feed and free it up a bit. I was going to start with the onion patch in the spring :(

PudsTree

Re: manuring a plot to grow onions
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:06 »
Fresh manure is the problem with onions, shallots and garlic, not well-rotted stuff. One year old manure will be fine. Just make sure it's dug in well and mixed thoroughly with the existing soil.

As for nitrogen, you're correct, onions don't need much of that it just encourages leafy growth. But the amount of nitrogen added to soil by well rotted manure is negligible in truth, it just adds body to the soil and will break down clay soils over the years.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 18:26 »
The "hear say" is no new manure should be used on anything... let it rot first..

But I add fresh horse manure mixed with shavings every year and last year I grew 588 kg from 165 sq mt... I think that may throw the wives tail straight out the window.

Some piccies of last season.. and some of my onions.. I spread a 4" layer and dig it in - some in Autumn and some in Spring. Then before I plant I add a handful of general fertilizer when I prepare the bed.

20130803_161919L_rs.jpg
IMG_1102L_rs.jpg
IMG_0981L_rs.jpg
IMG_0990L_rs.jpg
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 18:30 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 18:35 »
Here is some spread and being dug in.. I don't say it's right but it works for me..

IMG_0307_rs.jpg
IMG_0308_rs.jpg
IMG_0347 _rs.jpg
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 18:36 by gavinjconway »

jambop

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 20:56 »
Some nice looking vegs there! I have to say I do envy the cooler wetter British garden for green veg. I can grow most anything down here but the summer gets very hot and it can be high thirties and full sun for weeks so while sun lovers like tomatoes, peppers and the like do great leafy greens hate it! Great when you use the hoe though.. weed die immediately :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 12:30 »
Have a look at the info on the Robinson's Mammoth Onion website. They show each year at Chelsea and their growing facts are quite interesting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Manuring between onions.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2018, 13:58
by Goosegirl
xx
manuring the plot

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 16:43
by Chappers
xx
large plot fertiliser/manuring

Started by Babycat on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 22:24
by burlington
xx
New plot mid-March - manuring/fertilizer before planting?

Started by lemonstar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 18:17
by lemonstar

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 38 queries.