First Timer

• 3 Replies

Katja

First Timer
« on: June 19, 2006, 13:18 »
Hello there - am in the first year of proud allotment ownership and it becomes more and more apparent that I was hideously underprepared despite reading some great literature.  I did get the allotment rather late - end of April and had to start cultivating pretty quickly so I did not treat the soil but just started after weeding and rotivating.  I have loads of questions and am hoping to pick your brains?   :oops:
For example - when growing tomatoes indoors do you need to help them with pollinating?  If I don't will I not get any tomatoes? So far out of 20 odd plants I have one (!) tomato forming - it's a beauty but it seems little for the effort I have put into this. Also I have not pinched anything out - is it too late now (they are flowering now and some of the flowers are starting to wilt...)  
In my allotment I have a mystery attacker who so far has eaten all my small carrots and onions, after digging over and settling in my brassicas and thinking a polytunnel will keep away the nasties I found that all of the seedlings had been attacked and eaten bare.  This only seems to happen on one of my 6 plots.  I cannot think what it could be - slugs have been eliminated.  Any suggestions?

Look forward to your answers!
Cheers K

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
First Timer
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 13:57 »
Welcome :)
I've never needed to pollinate tomatoes - so I think you'll be OK there.
As for eliminating slugs... I doubt it.  We've had them appear in hanging baskets! I'd suspect them at least.

You do need to protect your brassicas from birds at least until they've grown a fair bit.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Katja

First Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 14:00 »
Hi John - thank you for your welcoming words.  Glad that I have found your site!  Can I pick your brain again?  When you grow tomatoes do you pinch their shoots out and cap their top?  If so, do you do that once the flowers have formed?
I am so looking forward to my first tomato harvest!!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
First Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 14:19 »
What brains? :)

For sideshoots take a look at this topic
Generally you 'stop' tomatoes after they have got 5 or 6 trusses so the plant pours all its energy into making tomatoes rather than growing or you are left with loads of tiny green ones at the end of the season.

xx
First Timer

Started by rpadley on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 23:34
by compostqueen
grin
help!!! first timer grower!!!

Started by mrswaff on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2010, 13:41
by fletcherbaker
xx
Allotment first timer!!

Started by Laura020101 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 23:22
by lancashiregardeninggal
xx
cucumber first timer

Started by peanut on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 21:51
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.