• Experienced Member
Re: Gardeners' Delight tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 12:49 »
Still enjoy GD good flavour, good keeper and easy to grow
Do you really need al that lettuce/

arh

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 16:04 »
Thank you for the re-direct DD, but I'd already bought them before I read your post, :lol: (The Black Cherries from that site.). As you say, change from a quid, (+ p/p of 65p, but a bargain all the same), though "her indoors" is a bit dubious about black tomatoes,  :ohmy:, but, as I said, "when they are eaten, they'll be the same colour as everything else". And I bought some Shirley seeds too.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 18:07 »
As you say, change from a quid, (+ p/p of 65p, but a bargain all the same),

Should be free postage!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 18:15 »
I grew GD last year from seed saved and they were OK - but nothing much more than that. Sungold, however, were brilliant but they are F1's so not possible to save seed. If you have a look at Real Seeds website, they seem to hint that there are very many varieties which go under the name of Gardeners Delight, but they cannot all be the original.

arh

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 07:51 »
Again you were quite right DD, it was the Shirley that had the P/P not the Black Cherry. (Wrong again, :ohmy: nothing new there then.)

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 10:00 »
GD a few years ago became a staple here, but last year's crop was pathetic, and also pretty tasteless!

They're not going to be used here any more, as there are so many better varieties around. I usually grow a selection of up to about seven dozen plants in different areas ( to avoid late blight), and the GD were in all of these locations and failed miserably!

lettice

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 10:47 »
Ive grown Gardeners Delight for many years.
Would not say they are the best tasting tomato out there, but they always grow reliably and produced great quantities of crop year after year with an enjoyable taste and no problems.
For about ten years Ive grown Mr Fothergills, a new seed packet each year.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 13:44 »
Where did you find that info Bernard? the last list of AGM varieties I could find, for 2017, still lists it..

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/pdfs/agm-lists/agm-fruit-and-vegetables.pdf
Hi mumofstig, sorry for my slow response.
My info came direct from RHS, via Debbie Roe, dated 8th December 2017. Among a list of various recommendations is this one:

The Vegetable Trials Assessment Forum recommended to RESCIND the Society's Award of Garden Merit from:
‘Gardener’s Delight’ AGM (H1c) 1993 (Trial Entry 15)        Sent by Kings Seeds

All people relying to this post who have had good results should be aware that GD properties are definitely lost, which I think means that it is very variable - and this includes the possibility of some batches that perform ok.
I have had poor and  variable results from T&M seed for 4 years. Prior to that, GD was THE BEST for many years. (and didn't cost much)
Here's another opinion:
http://www.irishnews.com/lifestyle/2015/09/26/news/the-casual-gardener-the-tomato-that-no-longer-delights-271680/
This shows 2 interesting details - that by 2015, T&M knew there were problems but have continued to advertise its former properties (and in spite of claiming to have destroyed a batch, have certainly continued to distribute bad seed), also that supply from the original source was discontinued.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 15:32 »
Well, the RHS should let the general public know then, if that is what they think  ::)

I guess even so,  the people still enjoying their GD should just carry on as before. If people have been saving their own seed through the years, they may still have the original good variety.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 15:59 »
Very interesting, and as I feared - it would only take one inadvertent cross-pollination to occur to potentially change the characteristics of all subsequent batches of seed from that fruit (in theory, I suppose it's possible that any given packet could contain both 'genuine' and 'contaminated' GD seeds, but of course you would have no way of knowing which was which.)

I may be being a bit cynical but it's hard to believe that more rather than less care is being taken these days with producing a seed so popular and cheap.

I've been growing GD from saved seed from 2015 (packet dated 2014), so I may have been lucky and got a 'good' original batch - I intend to grow them again this year, but will certainly be deploying my most critical ever taste buds!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

victoria park

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 18:01 »
It's all a matter of personal opinion I suppose. I tend to agree with the original comments and have stopped growing gardener's delight. Can't say I liked the Black cherry either last year, particularly their very strange texture, I even pulled them up mid season to make way for something else.
I have Floridity F1 cherries these days, nice and tart and go on for ever. As if to show opinions differ widely, I had to laugh at the comments on the top ten list posted here regarding Sungold. I like Sungold a lot and grow them every year but "unusually resistant to splitting" they are not.  I've never known a tomato to split so much.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 18:06 by victoria park »

xx
Gardeners Delight Tomatoes. Why are the fruits splitting?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 23:20
by peterjf
xx
gardeners delight

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 14:01
by casper
xx
gardeners delight

Started by trekkles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2021, 23:24
by al78
xx
Gardeners delight

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2016, 12:17
by Salmo

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 40 queries.