My dogs had a stroke

• 30 Replies

kitkat

• Experienced Member
My dogs had a stroke
« on: October 06, 2009, 08:31 »
It was very distressing to see. When we got to the vets, Smudge seemed fine and the vet thought i'd lot the plot. Then she realised what had happened.  :( The dog is 18 but i decided not to have her PTS then as she was fine, but we're told its almost certain she'll have another and that will be the time. Half of me wishes she had gone yesterday, although i'm obviously pleased she's still with us, but i'm petrified for the next one which i'm sure will be worse. Anyone else had this with their animals?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

newatthis

• Experienced Member
Re: My dogs had a stroke
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:50 »
hello, so sorry to hear this, my dog (summer), had a fit, ( not the same as yours), but it is very upsetting to see our pets we love in pain, she had a small fit about a month befor(April), which i spoke to the vets and they checked her over and said it could be a 1 of or she could have loads, then in May 3 weeks befor her 3rd birthday she had 1 in the eveining at bed time, then she came out of it and seemed fine, so i went to bed, but woke up at 6ish to hear what i thought was a strange nosie(when your still half asleep), then like a bolt i was wide a wake and know it was summer having another fit, so to cut a long story short, she fitted on and of for about 2 days at the vets, and in the end the vets said i dont think it is fits she is having, must be a brain tummer, so i made the hardest choices i ever had to make and let her go, and belive me i still get upset now when i think about it, so you never know if you make the right choices, it has to be whats best for the him,  all i can say is make the most of the time with him, yes it could be worse, or it could be mild, but you will know when it's time to say goodbye..
zoe pattinson :)

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 08:51 »
hi really sorry about your dog it hasnt happened to me but mil s  had both cats go with strokes all i can say is get it to the vet as soon as you notice something happening as it can be a long drawn out thing . mil was up all nite with one of hers and was devastated :(

Riala

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 08:53 »
My Shep (Golden Retriever) had a stroke when he was 18 and we were out walking.  It had been 3 days since he last went out, which is completely unlike him, he usually goes for a walk every day.

I phoned my cousin who came and got Shep, he put him in the boot of his estate car and I ran home to tell Mum that my cousin had taken him to the vets.

He came home with some red tablets and a warning that more will occur. We lost him the next day while I was at College after 4 more strokes :(

On a different note... my Mum and Dad's second dog (German Shepherd) had a stroke at 14, and never had another one.  He lived till he was 19 when he died in his sleep.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:54 by Riala »

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:48 »
18 is a good age  :)
One of mine reached 17 but wasn't in the best of health. I kept him going but really should have let him go sooner  :(
I've learnt now (after a horrendous vets bill for my favourite JRT some years ago and still didn't bring her home) when to let go. Animals are lucky, I think, they don't need to suffer - wish it could be the same for us hoomans sometimes  :closedeyes:
Good luck.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:44 »
Sorry to hear about your dog Smudge, I lost one of mine (Deefordog) a few years ago when she had two strokes following kidney problems. Hugs to you and Smudge xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

RIKJD89

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 19:19 »
I lost my dog this time last year to cancer, i found it was an easy decision in the end as it was quality of life that was the key factor an id sooner remember her as she was then have had it drag out for a few more months just to avoid the inevitable pain.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 20:34 »
Thanks everyone. We are going back to the vets in the morning, she's been panting a lot and she's lost a lot of weight over the past few months- tonight she looks 'fat', so she must be bloated. I've googled but cant find anything to do with that though :(

Rubellite

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 22:05 »
Thinking of you  :(

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 23:14 »
KitKat, my dog 17 years she was had 2/3 strokes, frightened the life out of us looked very bad but the vet said give it time.. just a few days and she was a lot better so don't give up just yet.
All the best, thinking of you all best of luck. Its so hard they get right under your skin!
Let us know what happens.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:58 »
Thanks both of you. Last night she looked very uncomfortable and this morning worse, panting, drinking loads,looked unsteady and really ill.Takes her to the vets-right as rain again! I suspect she's had another during the night. The vet said as long as she eats shes not in pain, the old gal is not ready to go yet. :) I'm sure my vet must think i'm on drugs :lol:
   Steve, thats amazing that your dog was 17 and still pulled through, i dont think Smudge will theres too many other things wrong i think, but we'll keep going for as long as she wants to :)

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 17:08 »
I hope things get better! My girl had her eyes rolling around all day and unsteady on her feet, can't think how she was feeling looked awful, the vet said she would be ok in a few days on the drugs he gave and she was. Kept her as still as poss in her bed and she did!
Again good luck, all the best.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Re: My dogs had a stroke- R.I.P Smudge
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 20:23 »
Sadly we had Smudge put to sleep yesterday, she had 2 more strokes at the weekend, and was looking very poorly. Such a hard decision, the hardest ever i think for us. She was always an amazing dog, a delinquent all her life and very energetic. Shes left a huge hole in our lives , and our other dog Jay is missing the 'Gaffer' . :(
  Here she is;

Sleep tight 'Mommys old bird'xx

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 20:30 »
So sorry to hear the news! Remember the good times, so very very hard to do.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 21:35 »
So sorry to hear this, thinking of you  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
my dogs have some thing to say..

Started by gizooty on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 20:17
by too many girls
xx
Oranges - do your dogs eat them?

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post March 24, 2015, 10:52
by Snoop
xx
What dogs are bred to do

Started by Diddy Gardener on Pets without Feathers

18 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 23:39
by shoozie
question
Can dogs eat raw eggs?

Started by Pretty Chick on Pets without Feathers

15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 07:57
by gsc

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 38 queries.