Peppers and chillies

• 8 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Peppers and chillies
« on: August 15, 2008, 19:36 »
Question 1.  ( :D )
My pepper plants are still tiny, (sown at beg of may I think) and are only about 6 inches - one had one flower on it but no pepper appeared, and no flowers since :-( Is it too late now, and I should get rid and make room in my gh for something else?

Question 2.( :? )
I have had good results so far growing cayenne peppers, leaving them to go red on the plant - Ive since heard that they will be better picked when green as this will encourage more peppers to form, and they will still go red when picked

Question 3.( :roll: )
Anyone growing hot patio chillies? They were planted beg of may and are about 4 inches high.  Any hope for these (cause they look so pretty too!)?

Fankyoo :-)
Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

SalJ1980

Peppers and chillies
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 20:10 »
Answer 1) - my peppers range from about 8-14 inches, and it's the smaller ones that are doing better, with a pepper the size of a satsuma and a couple of smaller ones. As for whether you should give up...no idea!

Answer 2) - what was the question?

Answer 3) - OH is growing chillies (I'm allergic to them so thats his department), they are about 10 inches high and have had plenty of flowers but no chillies so far. As for yours...still no idea!

They don't call me helpful for no reason, you know!  :lol:
Sal

Organic...so far!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Peppers and chillies
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 20:23 »
lol Sal, you are you know! It helps to know that you have peppers already, as I have nowt!

Question 2 wasnt clear I see that now, so..if I pick my cayenne while still green will more form, and will they turn red even when picked?

SalJ1980

Peppers and chillies
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 20:29 »
No idea, though I did read somewhere that if you pick green peppers they will continue to ripen after picking, but as it wasn't a particularly authoritative source, and more especially as I don't like green peppers much but I love red, yellow and orange ones, I'm not prepared to risk it with my first one!  :lol:

GreenOwl

Peppers and chillies
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 20:33 »
Well my answers are:

1) Put it this way, I sow them in February, I've got about 6 plants and have picked 8 peppers so far.  I'm not sure May ones will do much.  I'd say it depends if you want the space in the GH or not.  Mind you, if you can keep them frost-free you can over-winter them and they'll crop next year.  Probably do better that way than early sown ones.  They are only annuals in our climate.

2) I have heard the same re: all peppers and am trying it this year.  So far the first green ones that went on the window sill stayed green and just went wrinkled.... I've used the rest before they've had a chance to do anything else.

3) see answer to Q1.  Sorry.

matron

Peppers and chillies
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 20:36 »
I have (smallish) peppers and one of my chillie plants has quite a few baby chillies on it.  :D  I haven't grown chillies before so don't know what to expect and I don't usually get many peppers of any size because I don't hink it is warm enough here even though they are in the greenhouse.
Sorry - that isn't much help to you is it really.  :?

Charlotte

Peppers and chillies
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 20:55 »
Hi,I have some pepper plants on my patio(faces south) had one pepper so far,not holding out much hope for to many more,they look too small :(

Have four different types of chillies growing and they have'nt been brilliant this year,just now some are turning,some havent even fruited yet,might bring them inside now as it seems to be a bit cold and very windy down here in sussex

Last year i had three plants inside,in my lounge! faces south as well,had a massive crop,froze loads,still using them now.

Just need some sun! :(  :(

Charlotte

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Peppers and chillies
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 21:52 »
Question 4. I dropped all my chilli seedlings in june and now cant tell which are which. i have a range from hot to death, who wants to test?
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Peppers and chillies
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 10:17 »
[/QUOTE]Question 4. I dropped all my chilli seedlings in june and now cant tell which are which. i have a range from hot to death, who wants to test?

Not me! These chillies are for the OH and the oldest DS

thanks all :-)

Ill leave em for now, and when I need the room Ill get rid

Who knows I may be surprised! I can at least get the hotpatio chillies indoors on my kitchen windowsill :-)

Paula

xx
Chillies and peppers

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 17:11
by compostqueen
xx
Peppers and chillies

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:58
by kermit
xx
chillies and peppers

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 12:43
by Oliver
xx
Chillies & peppers

Started by texas on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2017, 18:26
by candygold1

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.