Vintage Tools

• 25 Replies

spader

Vintage Tools
« on: November 22, 2009, 00:34 »
Hi All

I am a newbie here. I am delighted to find this interesting forum and web community. As I am starting out, I am looking for garden tools. I have a couple of tools which are cheap, but would like to get something more sturdy and higher quality.

My question is whether it would be better to go for something brand new from shops, or go for vintage tools (spades, forks, hoes...) from yester-years. Because I saw some vintage spades and forks from 1940s and 1950s in the car boot sales, and they still looked perfect and strong and also they were in good price as well.

Are vintage tools made any better and stronger than modern ones? I would love to hear your opinions and experiences on this.

Thanks & regards
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 00:42 by spader »

spader

Stainless Steel Ones...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 00:38 »
SS tools are fine, but I read from somewhere that they cannot be sharpened unlike carbon steel ones. Indeed, when I tried to sharpen SS spades by filing them, and nothing has happened to its blade, and the file was broken. The SS spade blade is still blunt, and it is no joy using it at all.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 00:40 by spader »

Gwiz

Re: Vintage Tools
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 06:33 »
I would say, as a general rule of thumb, that most tools from the yester-years, are going to be very good quality.
The only modern gardening tool I've bought that I think is an exception, is the Wilkinson Sword stainless steel Swoe, which is lightweight and very strong. :)

hillbilly

• Experienced Member
  • Working at Freedom
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 14:10 »
My vintage tools always end up being the favourites. They feel good in your hand, are well balanced and appear to stand up to heavy use better. Especially digging spades.
My reciprocating hoe is a godsend and I've not seen as good a one anywhere.
Wish I could find a trowel to replace the broken (new, SS) one.....
I hear copper tools are helpful against slugs. Aren't they a bit 'soft'? Anyone used them?

Rixy

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 22:24 »
All my tools are "vintage" ones.  With shed break ins on the increase on our allotment site I refuse to pay the prices asked for brand new tools only to have them stolen.  I'm fortunate enough to be on friendly terms with someone who undertakes house clearances and am always given the first refusal on any "gardening" items she might have salvaged.

I'm a firm believer that the British made tools of yesteryear where made to a higher standard than the tools of whichever country of manufacture of today and while ever I have a supplier of them I'll keep on buying, after all, when I pay £1.50 for a border fork or spade and a £1 for a rake even if they turn out to only last a season they won't exactly have broken the bank.
Not a complete idiot, bits of me are missing.

sam on lewis

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 21:45 »
I sharpen my spades with a small angle grinder with grinding disc not cutting disc, if you still want old tools I can send my dad

poppies

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 18:14 »
I would say, as a general rule of thumb, that most tools from the yester-years, are going to be very good quality.
The only modern gardening tool I've bought that I think is an exception, is the Wilkinson Sword stainless steel Swoe, which is lightweight and very strong. :)

my favorite tool even use it to scrape out the bottom of the chicken coops,

carboot sales are good for getting older tools

wighty

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 20:16 »
Poppies, if you want 'old' tools go and see Mark Filer at Arreton by the school.  He has loads of 'old school stuff' that he buys in and then does up.  He and his wife are lovely.

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 22:27 »

SS sowes are fantastic..... light, easy to use around plants, long reach between rows, quick and accurate for weeding once you have the hang of using one (and that's simple). Of all the newer style tools you could get I'd go for one of these...  ;)

Saying that my father's old, well worn steel fork and spade are irreplaceable.

I also have an odd onion hoe - not seen one like it before but it is a joy to use.   
P5160085.jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Torreya

• http://ashfurlongwalledkitchengarden.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 20:09 »
I would say a mixture is best. I still use my father's spades, forks and hoes - most of which are around 80 years old or more - but I also like my Wolf set which is easy to swap and light to carry around, and has fittings for almost any use.

Slowgrind

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:00 »
Hi Gwiz, I got the Wilkinson Sword S/S Swoe last night for £3.00! B&Q clearance!

Gwiz

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 12:27 »
Hi Gwiz, I got the Wilkinson Sword S/S Swoe last night for £3.00! B&Q clearance!
Now that's what I call a bargain :D
Go back and buy another!
You won't be dissapointed. :)

Slowgrind

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 16:05 »
It was the last one at Widnes B&Q!  :(

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 16:33 »
Doh!

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 23:59 »
Now that's what I call a bargain :D
Go back and buy another!
You won't be dissapointed. :)

Hell's teeth....... that would be something to treasure at that price!!
You could sell it in 30 years time at a profit  :)

xx
vintage tools

Started by Offwego on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2018, 21:32
by Offwego
xx
Does anyone know what these vintage gardening tools are?

Started by Countryboy on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 00:01
by bravemurphy
clip
wicks for vintage heater belonging to my vintage friend

Started by Tommy Turnip on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post February 14, 2019, 08:29
by mumofstig
xx
wanted vintage dutch hoe

Started by Offwego on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2015, 12:45
by Uzzy

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 39 queries.