Blight on Tomatoes

• 9 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Blight on Tomatoes
« on: September 07, 2018, 20:02 »
I had 3 varieties of tomatoes on my allotment, King Humbert, Orange Paruche and Crimson Crush.
Only the King Humbert plants had the tell tale blackened stems and a few fruit today. So I've picked all the green K H fruit for chutney and binned the plants.
Crimson Crush is reputed to be blight resistant, but the O Paruche must have some resistance as well, looking at the plants. Left those varieties to see how they survive now blight is on site.

Growster...

Re: Blight on Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 20:12 »
I had 3 varieties of tomatoes on my allotment, King Humbert, Orange Paruche and Crimson Crush.
Only the King Humbert plants had the tell tale blackened stems and a few fruit today. So I've picked all the green K H fruit for chutney and binned the plants.
Crimson Crush is reputed to be blight resistant, but the O Paruche must have some resistance as well, looking at the plants. Left those varieties to see how they survive now blight is on site.

We've had a few Hutton emails recently, Mum, so maybe it's inevitable!

If you're passing by, we have a glut at the moment, but are noticing a few blotches here and there, so won't be crowing!

Trouble with allotments is the immediate spread - hours usually. Sorry you're in that state of affairs!

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 13:18 »
I did, eventually get a few signs of blight on my Crimson Crush tomatoes last year, but they grew through it, and although the odd fruit did have some blight, the vast majority were perfectly ok, and I was picking them until the end of October.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 20:52 »
:( visited the plot today, and noticed late blight on my toms, brown blotches on fruits and stems... all 14 plants affected... caught this early so salvaged a lot of green toms but weve basically dug all the plants up and bagged them for  bonfire night. Some of the giant knarled super marmande which have hit the bin... (".)  *sigh*

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 07:43 »
So following the emergency harvesting of the toms (blight) I've lost another 20 plus fruits since picking, are they all going to go eventually?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 08:08 »
Any fruits showing a greyish colour in the flesh rather than the normal progression through yellow, orange and red are probably already infected and should be removed immediately.

Any that are completely green without any signs of turning paler green or yellow are probably too immature to ripen off the plant.

Good luck - I've managed to ripen a good percentage from blighted plants in the past, but obviously it does depend on whether you've caught them soon enough.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 18:35 »
Mrs Growster keeps the green toms in a drawer, and we inspect them daily.

That way, we can chuck the blotched ones and hope the rest survive, but it's not a fail-safe.

Touch wood and whistle, we're OK so far...

missmoneypenny

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 12:12 »
Touch wood no blight here either ( south London), the little darlings still looking healthy. It’s the first time in my 8 years of allotmenteering I haven’t had blight.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 07:00 »
Well, all the green toms I picked of the blighted plants seem to be slowly going over. I made 4 tubs of curry last night out of the reddest ones but every morning I'm finding another 5 to 10 have developed the browny grey blotches. Looks like the rest are destined for the bin. :(

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 20:39 »
Some good news, 2 weeks after stripping 14 tomato plants of green toms following blight, and after losing half since picking them after subsequently developing the rot, over the last 3 days, most of them have suddenly ripened!

These have been full size and green for 2 months both on plant and off, but by removing diseased ones daily and leaving outside in a sunny spot in the garden, I've rescued half of them and that was many more than I expected. Lessons learned...

xx
Blight on my tomatoes

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 20:54
by AnneB
xx
Blight on Tomatoes?

Started by xpers on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 19:14
by Yorkie
xx
Tomatoes blight

Started by seashell on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 13, 2020, 18:32
by Yorkie
clip
Is this blight on my tomatoes?

Started by suedenim on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 09:11
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 51 queries.