Peppers and Chillies

• 11 Replies

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Peppers and Chillies
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:57 »
I'm looking for advice here should these be grown under cover all the time or can they be ripened OK outside I've always grown 'em in t'greenhouse but I've loads o' space outside

Anybody got a view on this.

Ta
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

mushroom

Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 13:24 »
Depends on how hot and sunny it is. The summer the year before last was good. Last summer a washout, apart from July/August down here. You also need a good length of season. Even with AGW these days, the combination of all 3 is hard to get (heat, sunshine and duration).

In hot years, they can go outside, in normal years, greenhouse. Just my opinion.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 13:42 »
Pretty much agree with mushroom, normally my tabasco and cayenne do well outside but last year wasnt that good. Greenhouse will pretty much gaurantee a good crop.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

gobs

Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 13:53 »
Also see How to grow it Forum:pepper. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

charley1980

Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 15:56 »
I started min off in the conservatory last year and tehn put out when we satrted having a few days of good weather in a row.  I have a south facing garden and just palnted them into organic grow bags. I had a ridiculous amount of chillies growing on my plants, used loads, gave loads away and also dried some and made some into jam! only had about 7 plants! I kept a couple in the conservatory too to see what difference it made and all I got was a load of whitefly!Not a problem on the ones outside. Will do the same this year.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 16:40 »
Quote from: "charley1980"
I started min off in the conservatory last year and tehn put out when we satrted having a few days of good weather in a row.  I have a south facing garden and just palnted them into organic grow bags. I had a ridiculous amount of chillies growing on my plants, used loads, gave loads away and also dried some and made some into jam! only had about 7 plants! I kept a couple in the conservatory too to see what difference it made and all I got was a load of whitefly!Not a problem on the ones outside. Will do the same this year.

Oh to live on the riveira  :wink:

splodger

Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 17:21 »
i grew mine outdoors last year - they were small - but lots of them

i shall do in and out this year - and do a comparison  :wink:

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 14:02 »
Ta folks

Guess I'll keep the maincrop in the GH and try a couple outside as well

Rob the rake

Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:15 »
It's all very well for you southerners, may as well be in another country if we compare the weather, but I'd like to hear from anyone north of Watford who grows chillies outdoors.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

moggy

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.chilliupnorth.co.uk/
Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 09:11 »
i grew a few outside for the last couple of years as i ran out of space but they didnt get as big as the ones in the green house, they got plenty of chillis on them but they didnt ripen as quickly as those in the greenhouse.

id definately reccomend growing them inside but its worth trying a couple outside to see how they go.
It's Chilli up North.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:40 »
Quote from: "Rob the rake"
It's all very well for you southerners, may as well be in another country if we compare the weather, but I'd like to hear from anyone north of Watford who grows chillies outdoors.

I'm in the super town of Middlesbrough and even during the dodo summer we had last year my joes long, bol rainbow, rocco red, fiesta and some others i cannot remember all did fine outside last year. things like Tepin we terrible, they didn't even flower till late Sept and got zero fruit from them, but I did expect that

paintedlady

Peppers and Chillies
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:42 »
... why don't you grow them in a sheltered spot (obviously you would, not trying to be funny here!), but also put a clear plastic screen round that bed (a bit like a cold frame without a lid).  It will not only cut out any draughts, but any heat generated in that space shouldn't dissipate as quickly than if it was completely open, hence a small rise in temperature.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Peppers and chillies

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 12:58
by kermit
xx
chillies and peppers

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 12:43
by Oliver
xx
Chillies & peppers

Started by texas on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2017, 18:26
by candygold1
xx
Chillies and Peppers

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 10:42
by Growster...

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.