Elderberry wine

• 8 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Elderberry wine
« on: February 16, 2007, 14:23 »
In October 2005 I made 6 gallons of Edlberry Wine after helping a friend cut down an Elder in their garden.  This was fermented and bottled and stored on the top of the Welsh Dresser in our Kitchen.
Last night I lifted a bottle down, blew off the dust and then opened it.  It smelt very fruity, not at all vinegery so I tipped myself a glass.  Holding it up to the light in was a deep red colour without any floaty bits.
My other half looked at it, smelt it and then said "your not going to drink it are you - it has got to be past its best!"
She was extremely wrong, it is probably the best home made wine I have ever tasted.
It just goes to prove that it pays to wait to drink your home brew.

There are another 19 bottles to go - guess what I am doing this weekend?
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

beancounter

Elderberry wine
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 17:49 »
Brilliant!! - as you have proved elderberry wine in particular must be matured because of its high tannin content (the same as a good claret) and can be quite harsh when young. It will continue to improve and your challenge is to keep a few bottles back and see what another year or three will do.

My only suggestion is that you keep it somewhere cooler if possible.

Cheers
When the weather changes I shall ....

Dabhand

Elderberry wine
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 18:35 »
So what's your address, I'm coming round :) .

Is it possible you could give me a brief rundown of how you made it please.  because if it seems fairly easy, I might have a go this year.  I made my first elderflower cordial last year which was really nice but I don't know anything about wine making.

Cheers!!

Dawn

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Elderberry wine
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 21:50 »
Reminds me of years ago Rugby, when I had made some elderberry wine, we visited my aunt and I gave her a bottle.  5 years later, we went to see her again, and she said, would you like a drink?  so she was rummaging in her cupboard, and said oh, I odn't know what this is, hey its your elderberry wine Ann.

And like you said, it was beautiful, more like a rich ruby port!!! point is, I never get to save em for long enough!!!

muntjac

Elderberry wine
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 22:45 »
i did elderbery rocket fuel many years ago , put as many elderberies  as i copuld in a barrel after drilling a hole in the lid for the airlock . shoved hot water in to the top and the yeast activator n 4 bags sugar n just left it for ages till it stoped bubling . put it through an old cotton sheet .white at the time , the stain was definatly permamnant lol .. squished all the juices out the mush , refilled the barrel to the top after adding 4 more bags sugar n more yeast n left it to go again .. couple months later add more sugar n yeast  finally cleared n botled it after about a year .. was like drinking 505 proof whisky .4 glasses n i waa gone to gaga land
still alive /............

Dabhand

Elderberry wine
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 22:53 »
So where can I get me a barrell????

muntjac

Elderberry wine
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 23:07 »
a home brew shop sells them now mate  fermentation barels .. mine wasa chip oil one from chippy

Dabhand

Elderberry wine
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 23:19 »
Thanks Muntjac and I had this vision of a beautiful well seasoned old oak barrell lol.....

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Elderberry wine
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 19:54 »
Hi, i too have a tale very similar, regarding a demijohn long forgoten. I thought the taste like a good port, but how many of us have it in them to keep something that long.

xx
elderberry wine

Started by mushroom on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 07:57
by symond steve
xx
Elderberry wine.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 21:14
by Damson
xx
Elderberry/flower wine

Started by norfolkgrog on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 20:27
by Stripey_cat
xx
Blackberry/Elderberry Wine....

Started by HelenK on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 22:37
by SG6

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.