fuchsias

• 7 Replies

rowlandwells

fuchsias
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:11 »
there are just so many varieties of fuchsias on the market today from basket to upright to hardy we usually try a different variety each year as well as our old favourites if you grow fuchsias all be it basket upright or hardy  what is your choice and do you manage to keep your fuchsias overwinter

I think fuchsias really complement ones garden  in hanging baskets  tubs or just planted into the garden many vibrant colours that give one the wow factor do you share  a passion for fuchsias?

Fairy Plotmother

Re: fuchsias
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:37 »
I just love fuchsias and am making an effort to restore my collection. I want to have them dripping out of baskets on a 15 feet long wall along my garden. Years ago I had over 60 different varieties! I will barrow them to my allotment greenhouse when they are finished and keep my fingers crossed they survive.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 11:21 »
We grow fuchsias too, although you can hardly call them a collection. Several are hardy, including good old Mrs Popple that grows to 1m tall  and at least as wide every year. Just beautiful.

The tender ones in pots get cut right back before the firsst frost anf root pruned to fit into a 9cm pot if possible, but if not, the smallest one practical. Thye sit under the staging in the frost free greenhouse all Winter, with the occasional splash of water to keep them just damp. As soon as they start back into growth come the Spring, they are moved up onto the staging in the light, pinched out when shoots get to 4 pairs of leaves, fed with half strength tomato fertiliser every couple of weeks, weekly once flower buds are visible. Seems to work for me  :D :D :D

Oh yes, and hardy ones in pots don't get cut back until new growth is seen at the base in the Spring, but are moved to a sheltered spot. Those in the ground are planted quite deeply so cope well enough.

Be interested to hear whata other people do.. I love the idea of a wall of baskets dripping with fuchsias. FP  :D :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 14:16 »
Be interested to hear whata other people do.. I love the idea of a wall of baskets dripping with fuchsias. FP  :D :D

I’m going to follow your way of overwintering fucshias, sounds much more professional than just putting the pots in the greenhouse. No wonder I don’t manage to keep all of mine going! If my ‘wall’ works next summer I will post pictures.....if it doesn’t I shall keep quiet and hope everyone has forgotten 🤣

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 18:02 »
yes fuchsias dripping over the wall sounds good we tried fuchsias in our verti- gardens although they looked quite good we haven't actually got the Verti-gardens to wall dripping standards the ones in tubs did quite well the varieties we grew where purple fountain anthea and deep purple and some left over from last year that we managed to save also tried a ball hanging basket [2 baskets like a ball] not quite there  :(

hopefully we can keep them frost free overwinter in the grenhouse  for next year but just encase  i've already ordered some  basket upright and hardy but i'm really going for that wall dripping idea sounds good

PS

don't forget to post those pictures F/P perhaps we could all remember to post a few pictures of our dripping fuchsias next year  :D good luck all with your next years fuchsias

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 18:46 »
I'd love to spend more time on our fuchsias, we have so many, and have lost most of the names sadly...

This year, is going to be the regeneration year! We have some lovely droopy ones in hanging baskets, and each year, we carefully pop them away to overwinter and although some never make it, seeing that tiny leaf in spring is such a joy, so we go out and buy a dozen more to celebrate!

My dad and mum lived in a house where the front gardens had to be open plan for some silly reason. So he went out and bought a couple of dozen of hardy fuschias and planted them instead. 'Nuff said!

Luckily, we now have a couple of them here at The Turrets, and I'm going to pass on cuttings to daughts for posterity.

Fuchsias are among the most lovely plants ever, and if I was a better gardener, I'd build a huge greenhouse and spend the rest of my life regenerating them, but that's after I've cut the hedges, mowed the lawns, washed up, done the edges etc. etc. etc...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 19:27 »
Not a good year for them here.  Just beginning to flower  :nowink:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 18:40 »
Not a good year for them here.  Just beginning to flower  :nowink:  Mrs Bouquet

They do that, don't they Mrs B!

Suddenly they blossom forth and get all gorgeous, but you sometimes have to wait...

xx
Fuchsias

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2006, 19:47
by flowerofshona
xx
Fuchsias

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 08:01
by lazydog
xx
Fuchsias this summer

Started by robinahood on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2018, 11:08
by mrs bouquet
xx
keeping fuchsias overwinter

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 18:41
by muckyboots

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 46 queries.