Fuchsias this summer

• 6 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Fuchsias this summer
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:58 »
My Fuchsias are just sitting there, look healthy but very little growth or flower. It's not lack of water, do you think the heat could be the cause? They are in various places, sunny, part shade,  pots, baskets and in the ground.

lettice

Re: Fuchsias this summer
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 08:01 »
I've grown fuchsias for many decades all in pots.
Always take hardwood cuttings in autumn to propagate more.
Do move the pots to the greenhouse over winter. We do not get much of a frost down here, but always been told this is what to do with Fuchsia and its worked well over the years.

Have noticed that the flowers have taken a little longer this year to appear, normally start flowering June, but only started early July this year, about a month late. But they are all flowering nicely now and strong plants as ever and all last Autumn cuttings are all doing well and flowering.
These grow in our front garden and are a little shaded in their pots.
Have found that out in full sun, they perform poorly.
They need a moist soil, so regular watering, but not soaked and sitting in water.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38 »
In the garden, they are absolute rubbish here, weak growth and not many flowers sigh! The pots in the back yard, which is very sheltered from cold, wind and sun, are doing much better.

Florablunder

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:07 »
I'm also having problems with my fuchsias this year - I've got several in pots grown from cuttings of last year's plants and they have grown vigorously but hardly any flowers compared to last year. I feel I must have done something wrong, but not sure what! You would think that the extra heat would cause more flowers rather than less. I've now pruned them down to reduce some of this extra growth as it makes them dry out too quickly.

oldgrunge

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 20:57 »
Strange! My fuchsias have done rather well this year, despite the heat. Except for the dreaded vine weevil earlier on.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 05:14 »
I've grown fuchsias for many decades all in pots.
Always take hardwood cuttings in autumn to propagate more.
Do move the pots to the greenhouse over winter. We do not get much of a frost down here, but always been told this is what to do with Fuchsia and its worked well over the years.

Have noticed that the flowers have taken a little longer this year to appear, normally start flowering June, but only started early July this year, about a month late. But they are all flowering nicely now and strong plants as ever and all last Autumn cuttings are all doing well and flowering.
These grow in our front garden and are a little shaded in their pots.
Have found that out in full sun, they perform poorly.
They need a moist soil, so regular watering, but not soaked and sitting in water.

Almost exactly the same here!

We love fuchsias, and try to get some new varieties every year. This season, we'll try some more cuttings of faves, but last year's didn't work out sadly!

We also love the outdoor perennial ones, and they can be remarkably vigorous in the right place - which they'll choose of course...

(As an aside, years ago, my dad and mum moved to a new smaller bungalow, and found that there was a legal requirement for absolutely no hedges or fences in the front garden, next to the footway. The penalty was something like 25 years in gaol.

Dad just went out and put a long row of these hardy fuchsia plants and they took off in a blaze of glory...

We kept several when we sold the house, and they're still growing strong here - and now daught has one in her garden from a cutting)!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 11:08 »
Like you all, mine are just ok, not stunning. They started off badly, then improved, but now they're just - ok Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
Fuchsias

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 08:01
by lazydog
xx
fuchsias

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 18:40
by Growster...
xx
Fuchsias

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2006, 19:47
by flowerofshona
xx
keeping fuchsias overwinter

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 18:41
by muckyboots

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.