Heated vs un-heated

• 8 Replies

Lardman

Heated vs un-heated
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:14 »
These sungolds were sown at the same time, germinated in the propagator , potted on at the same time using the same size pots and same growing medium.

The plant on the left has been kept inside the heated polycarb cold frame which hasn't dropped below 16, the plant on the right has been left to fend for itself on the bench a few feet away.
heated_vs_not.jpg

Goosegirl

Re: Heated vs un-heated
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:40 »
The one on the right looks stressed because the leaves are purplish. It's not been that warm at night, so that's probably the reason. The left one looks to have romped away - a bit leggy though? Perhaps an un-heated cold frame might be another in-between option for the day time?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Robster

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:03 »
They both look pretty good to me.  Obviously the one on the left is a bit leggier and will need support when planted on.  Most of mine look like this and are grown just like yours.  The smaller one on the right looks a bit sturdier and possibly better balanced.  I'd be happy with either had I grown them

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:46 »
Perhaps an un-heated cold frame might be another in-between option for the day time?

It's wired into a thermostat so only on when it dropped below 20 in there.  I thought it was a good clear indication that despite the unseasonably warm weather the lower night time temperatures still has a significant impact on a plants growth.  I wouldn't be particularly happy with either plants, the coldframe one is very leggy and all the growth is very soft, the other is very retarded and the plant itself is very hard I would expect its going to be very slow getting going when things warm up.

If I can find my sungold seeds Im going to sow again now in the unheated GH to see how the plants compare.

I do like to play with my food  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 12:51 »
Heated, set to min temp of 10oC overnight. Raised in a plastic bag.

The first baby:

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 13:38 »
Looking at your diary DD, they're from a Feb sowing. Wood you normally sow that early? Not sure how you heat the GH but under normal weather conditions I would think it very difficult to keep things above 10 in Feb/March.

mmmmmm tomatoes  :tongue2: .

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 14:15 »
Yes, I normally sow that early, but only enough that I can eventually cope with in the heated greenhouse. A grand total of 12 seed is what is sowed and 12 plants is what I got! These can easily be coped with for about 6 weeks indoors, before it's time to crank the heat up in the greenhouse. That's when I sow the seed for the unheated one and the great outdoors. By late March it's very unlikely that we're going to get prolonged Artic spells.

Where a lot of folk go wrong is to sow everything too much too soon and find themselves with a lot to look after and nowhere to put them.

Even Mrs. Digger could put up with only 12 plants indoors!

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 17:47 »
I agree DD. I knew I wasn't ready  or got the time to commit to early showings this year so held back. I just didn't want the stress of fitting it all in & then ending up with weak leggy plants. We are going away a bit later than usual in May so beans,squashes will be sown later than normal in the hope that they will be healthy plants when I am ready to plant them out after I come back.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Robster

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 23:48 »
They both look pretty good to me.  Obviously the one on the left is a bit leggier and will need support when planted on.  Most of mine look like this and are grown just like yours.  The smaller one on the right looks a bit sturdier and possibly better balanced.  I'd be happy with either had I grown them

xx
Heated frame

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:48
by Dominic
xx
Heated Propagator

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 18:16
by DD.
xx
Heated Propagators

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 21:07
by dugless
question
New to heated propagator

Started by Spookess on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2022, 21:10
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.