Unusual Snowdrops

• 6 Replies

kegs

Unusual Snowdrops
« on: February 20, 2012, 14:30 »
Does anyone know of somewhere I can buy some unusual/rare snowdrop plants.  It's my parents Golden Wedding Anniversary in March and my mum said she's like a snowdrop plant that she had read about that was yellow and white.  Unfortunately the one she likes recently sold on fleebay for £725 so it's just a tad over my budget  ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9087106/Mutant-snowdrop-sells-for-725.html

Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative would be greatly appreciated.  :)

mattwragg94

Re: Unusual Snowdrops
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 14:42 »
does she definately want yellow and white? - ive just looked at some double ones (galanthus plore pleno) and there is also a nice one on thompson and morgan (russian blue, i think it) and there substantially cheaper at around 9 quid for 50 bulds!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 15:14 »
Does anyone know of somewhere I can buy some unusual/rare snowdrop plants.  It's my parents Golden Wedding Anniversary in March and my mum said she's like a snowdrop plant that she had read about that was yellow and white.  Unfortunately the one she likes recently sold on fleebay for £725 so it's just a tad over my budget  ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9087106/Mutant-snowdrop-sells-for-725.html

Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Yes, I most certainly do. If you want yellow there are several varieties that  would be within budget.

If you go to Avon bulbs website and ask for the unusual/rare snowdrop list they will email it to you or they may have what is available on the website. Have just fished out my catalogue and the telephone number is 01460 242177 or 249060

There is also a place called North Green Snowdrops, North Green ONly, Stoven, Beccles, Suffolk. But you can only get to them via post. You have to pay £2.50 for a catalogue and they sell out very quickly and they don't have telephone access.

The bulbs you would be looking for are Wendy's Gold, or Spindlestone surprise These are the most noteably yellow singles. Blonde Inge is a slender single with pale yellow marking inside. Lovely but not as striking as the previous 2.

There is also a yellow double called Lady Elphinstone. She might be more readily available than the others which are highly sought after.

Expect to pay about £20 to £30 for one bulb!  Expensive but...... they will bulk up over time.
I have all the above and am waiting for them to bulk up sufficiently to offer them for sale.

IF you are quick and phone Avon Bulbs ASAP you never know you may be lucky.

If not get back to me and I will look through the catalogues to see if anything else comes to mind.

ALso you could Google the RHS Spring exhibition. Don't know if this has already happened but they sell unusual snowdrops.  We Galanthophiles move quickly when the catalogues are out.

Good luck.

Unfortunately you have left it late in the season to get unusual snowdrops as they sell out very quickly and usually well before now. You really have to get your order in ASAP in January to get what you want

kegs

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 15:50 »
This site is better informed than google!  :lol:

Thank you Mattwragg94, I like the look of the Russian Blue so will certainly order some of those.

Thank you Mrs Ball.  I have just sent an email to Avon Bulbs to find out what they still have in stock.  Coincidentally, we are taking my parents away for a couple of nights to Somerset on their Anniversary so if Avon Bulbs were open to the public we could have visited them too.  Still, very handy information so thank you both.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 16:26 »
You could also try googling Judy'ssnowdrops too. I haven't used her though.

If you don't have any luck with your mission. If you send me a personal message with your email address I may be able to help.

Have just done the snowdrop walk to see what has come up in the yellow snowdrop bed.

Good luck.

kegs

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 16:47 »
According to the web site Judy is taking a year off to spend time with a new puppy!!

Avon Bulbs have already answered my email and are busily making suggestions (one of which was the Lady Elphinstone) so thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.  :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 19:07 »
According to the web site Judy is taking a year off to spend time with a new puppy!!

Avon Bulbs have already answered my email and are busily making suggestions (one of which was the Lady Elphinstone) so thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.  :)

Really pleased you will be able to get something suitable. Warn your mum that snowdrop collecting is addictive!!

xx
looking for something unusual?

Started by Robin Redbreast on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 21:05
by naturesparadise
clip
Is this unusual?

Started by Kathie on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2018, 20:13
by snowdrops
xx
Unusual green manure

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 11:06
by Growing Weather
xx
Snowdrops

Started by Yorkie on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 20:42
by DD.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 36 queries.