wallflowers

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

wallflowers
« on: February 14, 2018, 17:52 »
 just bought some wallflower seed for autumn sowing with my seed order  bought a bedding variety called bedding mix 25-30cm I think there a good buy for a cheap spring colour in our borders

some tell me wallflowers cause club root when sown in the allotments so I'm going to sow them in pots before planting out in the borders does anyone out there still grow wallflowers for spring colour I know there an old favourite called  by another name that escapes me

there is supposed to be a wallflower that has two flowering periods the first in  autumn and then in spring the variety is called charity sounds worth growing I also understand the variety called treasure are sweetly scented spoiled for choice or what  :D :D :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: wallflowers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 18:33 »
They don't cause club-root unless you buy bare-root plants from the farmers market, like the old timers used to do; sometimes they introduced club root to their plot along with the plants :(
Grown from seed they start off disease free but they can get clubroot if you already have it in your soil.
The perennial wallflower, that flowers for much longer than the common one is Erysium Bowles Mauve.

Most of the varieties of wallflower I've grown have been scented :)

AlaninCarlisle

Re: wallflowers
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 19:25 »
Yes, it wouldn't be spring without wallflowers in my garden. I usually buy a few dozen bare-rooted ones but this time could only find them rooted in trays

xx
Wallflowers

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 08:32
by Ruby Red
xx
Wallflowers

Started by BumbleJo on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2015, 19:10
by ARPoet
xx
Wallflowers

Started by rw3272 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 19:54
by rw3272
xx
Wallflowers

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 20:25
by azubah

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 36 queries.