The green manure debate

• 18 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: The green manure debate
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 16:53 »
well well it just goes to show ones never to old to learn but I have to say I still believe animal manure  is the best tonic for my allotments especially a good well rotted straw cattle dung don't think you can beat it

also it was proved by farmers this season that by spreading  human waste on fields prior to sowings when harvesting the yields where up  at least that was the case round hear although  I'm not actually in favour of spreading human waste on fields

but its interesting to note your replies and what you all think is the best to put goodness back in the ground we all have our opinions on this topic and I enjoyed reading your comments possibly agree to disagree on some points but never the less I've learnt good points from this topic  :nowink:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 12:08 »
I use green manures not as alternative but to lock and preserve what is already there and of course helping to improve our beaches.
In spring I muck in as normal, I just dont see the point of chucking well rotted muck on an empty bed, then digging it in for the rains to come and form brown rivers down the paths for 6 months before you start the growing season and then as many do chuck 6 ton of growmore to feed the veg!
It has been an interesting thread to read with your answers so I guess I have found out that we the winter green manure people are a dying breed!
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 18:45 »
We live in a farming community where livelihoods depend on getting the soil right for growth, whether that be pasture, spuds, grain or fodder crops so I tend to follow farmers' examples and use lavish amounts of muck before sowing

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 12:01 »
We live in a farming community where livelihoods depend on getting the soil right for growth, whether that be pasture, spuds, grain or fodder crops so I tend to follow farmers' examples and use lavish amounts of muck before sowing
It is interesting as around our parts I have noticed a lot of grazing rye in fields which will be turned over come spring.
I to muck in when springs arrives, I am talking of protecting and improving the soil structure while it is dormant over winter.

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 36 queries.