'Patchless' in Kent...

• 16 Replies

Growster...

'Patchless' in Kent...
« on: October 04, 2018, 06:42 »
So the last deed was done yesterday, and we've passed The Patch on to a lovely family who can get stuck in over winter! They now have both keys to the padlock on the shed - a signal moment!

The trouble is, that we'd accumulated so much in the shed down there, that I can't find enough room to put all the fertilisers, tools, nets, pots etc., away at The Turrets!

It'll be a 'battle royal' over the next few days, to clear out all the old wood I squirrell away for kindling, find a new home for the new garden muncher and the strimmer, move all the shelves around, and also make room for ten 25kg bags of coal arriving any day now. (We've already given up the idea of buying a load of firewood this year)!

There's also a 25gal water butt, which we used solely for comfrey, so that'll have to be connected to the greenhouse somehow - when I can make some space by the hedge (which needs cutting back)!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: 'Patchless' in Kent...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 07:59 »
See, you thought you'd take things easy, but life (or him upstairs?) reckoned you're still fit enough to do all those jobs on that list  ::)
I've always found that as you get to the end of any to-do-list something else gets added to it - so don't think you'll be any different  :D
Keep up the good work, I'm sure it is what keeps us 'with it'  ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 14:51 »
Maybe the newcomers, would like use the water butt for comfrey or maybe water !  Perhaps, they would also like some of the other stuff you have pugged away on  a sort of permanent loan, then you could borrow it back when needed.  Then they can keep it in the shed saving you the job, and they will be so delighted they will reward you with lots of goodies. :D  Just an idea - Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 21:24 »
See, you thought you'd take things easy, but life (or him upstairs?) reckoned you're still fit enough to do all those jobs on that list  ::)
I've always found that as you get to the end of any to-do-list something else gets added to it - so don't think you'll be any different  :D
Keep up the good work, I'm sure it is what keeps us 'with it'  ;)

Of course, you're absolutely right Mum!

Luckily, I did the shelf rearrangement over two sessions today, and can see the space I need to change things around! It was actually an interesting task, and by 6:15, the hard bits had been done...

Looking forward to tomorrow as always and as you say, the list lengthens by the hour!!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 21:28 »
Maybe the newcomers, would like use the water butt for comfrey or maybe water !  Perhaps, they would also like some of the other stuff you have pugged away on  a sort of permanent loan, then you could borrow it back when needed.  Then they can keep it in the shed saving you the job, and they will be so delighted they will reward you with lots of goodies. :D  Just an idea - Mrs Bouquet

Oh don't worry about that, Mrs B! I fitted two x 250 gallon IBCs a few years ago, plus there's another comfrey 40 gal drum, plus our old bath, plus another old roof water tank!  There's more fresh water on The Patch than anywhere else!

We've also been able to pass on several hand tools, which always seem to stay on the site, including a Canterbury hoe, which was given to us by a tenant way back in 1985 when he had the same plot, then he retired! It sort of belongs there!

Nice sentiments from you as always!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 16:45 »
That should keep you in water for a while, provided we get some rain of course.
That's lovely about the Canterbury  hoe being passed on.  Mrs Bouquet

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 12:35 »
and also make room for ten 25kg bags of coal arriving any day now. (We've already given up the idea of buying a load of firewood this year)!

So why have you gone to coal rather than wood?

The reason I ask is I emailed our log supplier as I noticed he had no softwood on his site ( normally get bag of soft and a bag of hard) and his reply was a little suprising...
"UK softwood is very scarce at the moment due to government incentives for biomass, there is basically none available to us at a reasonable price. Last time I checked it was nearly double the price we paid 16months ago."
Sorry to go off on a tangent  :blush:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 14:10 »
The other day our sweep said the same thing. We use smokeless fuel and only burn wood at the festive time in December, so it's a good job our free-standing fire doesn't depend on wood.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 14:26 »
and also make room for ten 25kg bags of coal arriving any day now. (We've already given up the idea of buying a load of firewood this year)!

So why have you gone to coal rather than wood?

The reason I ask is I emailed our log supplier as I noticed he had no softwood on his site ( normally get bag of soft and a bag of hard) and his reply was a little suprising...
"UK softwood is very scarce at the moment due to government incentives for biomass, there is basically none available to us at a reasonable price. Last time I checked it was nearly double the price we paid 16months ago."
Sorry to go off on a tangent  :blush:

Interesting Aidy.

Down here in Kent, the free rags are full of ads selling 'barn stored hardwood' etc, and hardly ever do they do softwood.

One of the reasons for us not getting a load in, (he's still a chum), is that we have so much wood lying about 'The Turrets' now, from old jobs, kids' jobs etc, that it's ridiculous to fork out £75.00 while it's taking up valuable space! Also, we just don't have the room, and - er - it's really a bind wheeling and stacking the stuff...

The Growster Workmate and electric saw comes into play, and reduces it all to fireplace sizes. The Growsteraxe deals with the bits of chipboard...

As for coal, we use a sort known as 'Wildfire', which is a manufactured lump made from all the dust from the various yards around here. It's a great fuel, and easily lasts all night, even after stoking up at 9:00pm! We've always used a mix of coal and wood, but while space is at a premium, I'll buy Mrs Growster a new hat with the £75.00 - maybe two..;0)

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 14:29 »
The other day our sweep said the same thing. We use smokeless fuel and only burn wood at the festive time in December, so it's a good job our free-standing fire doesn't depend on wood.

Why smokeless out in the sticks, Goosey?

I know you like coal fires (who doesn't), but there are lots of different coal sorts around, maybe costing a few bob less than smokeless too!

I suspect you have an inglenook in Gooseturrets, so yes a coal needs to be less smokey...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 14:36 »
Going back to your shed - are you going to bequeath your trug basket carrying gadget  :D  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 16:37 »
Going back to your shed - are you going to bequeath your trug basket carrying gadget  :D  Mrs Bouquet

Trust you to think of that, Mrs B! You're good on detail!

The answer is, I haven't even thought about it, but will sit down and write myself a note to think a bit harder!

;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 12:19 »
We do have an ingle-nook fireplace (see attached pic) and use Excel smokeless fuel as any dust from it is more light grey than black so it doesn't show up as much when I haven't dusted for a while! We keep it in all winter by adding some to the fire then cover it with slack.
Goosey's Xmas Cottage.jpg

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 13:50 »
Thanks Gg for that lovely picture, I have enlarged it, and cannot see a speck of dust anywhere  :lol:  Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 15:07 »
Should have gone to Specsavers!  :lol:

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 51 queries.