Experience of broody hen

• 18 Replies

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
Re: Experience of broody hen
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 12:14 »
Hello New Shoot,
Yes I agree with you, as she is staying fairly close to me. If I go indoors she follows. Sits down on the carpet while I do whatever.
Had an estimator in for the fence and now wait for the quote. But, will probably get it done.
Then only allow the hens to the main garden when I'm out there with them. Which is where my veg and fruit are growing and the hens do keep the slugs and snails etc down. Amongst other good jobs like mixing in the compost for me.
Three more hens to arrive tomorrow.
Hopefully the fence will be erected before I let the hens out of the coop and/or cage. Also Hannah should be more content with company. The hen pecking i'll have to wait and see.
As I may have said before Hannah is a bit shy and nervous ever since I've had her. She doesn't like to be touched. But she will lay down by my feet when I'm working.
See attached photo. First one is Hannah by mt feet. Second photo she is on my paperwork in front of the keyboard. Later she went asleep.
DSCF1413.JPG
DSCF1414.JPG

grinling

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 18:41 »
My constructive comment was you should not get any more hens until you have foxed proved an area.
Foxes will go after easy prey. Most people do not allow their hens to free range if there are foxes present...I have commercial premises near me, free range have an electric fence...if turned on. There is also mink up here where electric fences do not stop.
Best protection is weld mesh all over including the top as foxes climb as well as dig next to a run.
Others on this site use electric fences or are present in the garden when prey is around.I have buzzards up here but they prefer rabbits and pigeons.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 11:02 »
Hello grinling,
All very well, but my topic was a broody hen.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 20:15 »
Hi Tom.  To be fair, we wandered off into talking about secure garden areas for hens as a side topic, but it sounds like both that and the broodiness are in hand, so all's well  :)

xx
Is she broody?

Started by Tigerwren on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 15:22
by Tigerwren
xx
Broody Hen??

Started by Franceska on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 14:26
by ANHBUC
xx
OMG broody hen poo

Started by gingerplant on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 18:25
by LittleRedHen
xx
Broody again!

Started by chuckmum on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 18:05
by chuckmum

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 37 queries.