Chicken being bullied

• 9 Replies

RebeccaM

Chicken being bullied
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:55 »
Hi,  i have 6 chickens and one of them, which seems to be the smallest, has always been picked on a bit by the others, but just lately they seem to really gang up on her. We have built them a run from the chicken shed and on sunday they just seemed to chase her about and peck at her quite viciously.

When we have asked other people with chickens about this some have said that they have had a chicken which got pecked at by the others but I just find it really horrible to see - is this normal or should we take the chicken out from where they other 5 are.  They are pecking all her feathers out and she looks quite scruffy now (I know I am beign a bit soft but i really feel sorry for her)   any advice would be great

joshbuchan

Re: Chicken being bullied
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:20 »
This happend to me when I got my 1st 6 ex-bats, its called a pecking order and there's not much you can do about it.
You could try using anti feather pecking spray which smells like burnt hair. If she's got scabs or blood they will just keep pecking at it and making it worse.
I had to take mine out for 2 weeks and let her fatten and heal up as she was not getting enough food. Then I just cleaned the hutch fresh for the night and sprayed it with abit of the spray to make it smell funny. Then after they went to bed I shut them up, and plopped the bullied chicken in with the spray on so everything smelt the same.
In the morning they were let out not knowing anything. She was pecked a little but could defend herself as she was now stronger.
Sometimes this just does not work and she will have to be rehomed or culled. If she's not laying then she's probably not worth the hassle. Or you could make another pen and get a couple of scruffy ex bats to go with her. I don't know do what's best for you really. It's very horrible when you watch a chicken being bullied and kept from having their food.
Also a trick would be, when you put her back, maybe put her back with 1 or 2 new chickens of the same breed, same colour, so they can share the 1st couple of days of bullying. Maybe one of the new chickens will become top chicken and put the bullies in their place.
Anyway, good luck, tell me how everything works.

Josh.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:30 by noshed »

lisa123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:51 »
mine do this to one of our bantams, they pick on her then she seems to be okay then a couple of weeks they do it again. i always make sure that there are plenty of tubs with food in around them(i have four chooks) so i have 5 feeders that way she gets some food. hope this helps?  :)
Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:38 »
Chickens go mad for red, so a blooming/scabby patch is a target, try 'anti-peck' spray which takes the redness out and tates awful to the offending pecker, or iodine if you can get hold of it - maybe Boots will have some.

There is always one at the bottom of the pecking order but that doesn't mean she has to suffer - or be culled!  Several feeding stations will give your girls space to eat without needing to fight over the best spot, good luck :)
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

RebeccaM

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:53 »
Could the fact that we have changed their feeder over the last few days be a reason why she is being pecked at a lot more ?  A few days ago we used to have one of those standard type feeders where the food comes out all round the rim but now we have one of those feeders which has a spring type nozzle and when they knock it the food comes out as it just seems strange that it is only the last few days that they have been pecking her more.

We have seen them using the new feeder but i wondered if their not using it as much as the old feeder and not getting enough food would this make them pick on her more - just a thought.

I will get some anti peck spray anyway and see what this does.

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 13:03 »
i would keep a very close eye on her, i don't want to alarm you but hens have been pecked to death before, once one starts things can get quickly out of hand with disastrous results.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 13:33 »
I've used a product called 'Featherite'.  Clear liquid spray, which must taste nasty.  It stopped the bit of pecking we were having anyway.

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 16:05 »
one spray is called Ukadex, it smells like gone off sour cigarettes, but it works.
also make sure you have some gentian violet to hide and red blood spots, or if it gets bad some stockholm far to put on the blood spots.
plently of water and feeders.

it was then ukadex that worked for us, but make sure you dont get any on you, it takes ages to work off

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33 »
Featherite didn't deter my determined top hen ... I'm waiting for some Ukadex to arrive! In the meanwhile, I've smeared the two suffering hens with Vicks rub ... didn't stop top hen pecking, but she can't get a grip on a feather any more!!
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

joshbuchan

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 01:55 »
i was just thinking, do u wana know what put my top hen in her place, a big cockrawl! that will get her running.

xx
BULLIED CHICKEN!

Started by Cal_Leghorn on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 15:17
by Chicken Pete
sad
bullied chicken

Started by hillary1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 20:16
by joyfull
question
help have one chicken being bullied

Started by amythyst5040 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 18:08
by karlooben
xx
Help-chicken is being bullied

Started by new heather on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:37
by Carla

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 38 queries.