Courgette Omlette and other courgette recipies

• 56 Replies

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
« on: July 13, 2006, 09:12 »
Had an insomniac night last night, but as a result saw an ancient french cookery series on BBC2. Everyone seems to be saying they have tons of courgettes, so one recipe was; shred the courgettes and blanch them in a frying pan with oil with some garlic. Then beat four eggs in a bowl, add the shredded courgette and mix, then pour everything back into the frying pan and brown on each side. Looked lovely.

Fafafifi

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 17:56 »
Sounds nice and easy to do!

Will try this at the weekend!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 22:05 »
Ooh, thanks Mick, was thinking of trying that one, also perhaps courgette quiche??

But I am freezing my excesses too, and gave 6 to my friend Sharon yesterday.  Tomorrow, she gets a cabbage!!!  But she isn't getting any runner beans or peas, sacrilege!!!!

shaun

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 18:23 »
brilliant recipe  had it last night with shallots,garlic, 1 red pepper and tomatoes  lots of black pepper and a good dollop of mayo.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Re: Courgette Omlette
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 18:47 »
I'm up for some of that.. sounds fab. Do they freeze well? I didn't think they would.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 22:47 »
Hi SG.  I don't know if they freeze well, because I've never grown them before to get a glut, but Iread in a book somewhere that most things will freeze, but of course thye wouldn't be any good for use in salads or anything raw, but even though they will thaaaw out and be wet, they should be okay in stews and things in the winter.  

Some people say you can't freeze tomatoes or eggs, but here is a girl who has done BOTH, and used them after they thawed out!!!!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 23:18 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Hi SG.  I don't know if they freeze well, because I've never grown them before to get a glut, but Iread in a book somewhere that most things will freeze, but of course thye wouldn't be any good for use in salads or anything raw, but even though they will thaaaw out and be wet, they should be okay in stews and things in the winter.  

Some people say you can't freeze tomatoes or eggs, but here is a girl who has done BOTH, and used them after they thawed out!!!!

Hi GA, :)
I always thought/read, anything with a very high water content wouldn't/doesn't feeze well as when they defrost the molecular structure is screwed because the water in them expands and destroys the molecular  structure and turns them into mush after the defrost. Unless you have a very quick feezing process, which most home freezers don't have ( yeah I loved physics/chemistry and school :) )

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 23:49 »
Mmmmm, I know, but then people freeze strawberries, and they are quite watery too.  And you get a lot of frozen veggies, and most of them are mostly water!!

I know they won't be the same, but I'll be damned if I'm going to keep giving or throwing stuff away, when I can use it in the winter.  Being out of work at the moment, I try any ways of saving stuff or using up leftovers.  And I'm getting very good at recycling too.

OH is getting as bad.  We have just finished putting in a new bathroom for an old family riend of his Mum.  they have a council bungalow and the doors and windos have just been replaced.  We had some of the old wood for our woodburner, and OH took off the old draught strips first.  Then yesterday, he took them over to my friend's new house (150 years old!) and put them on her door.  We are trying to renovate her kitchen on a budget of zero!!!!

Anyway, sorry off topic a bit there, but we have to try these things don't we, or we don't know if they will work or not.  Like the eggs.  People say you can't freeze eggs, but one book I've got said as long as you mix the white and yolk together first, its ok.  So I tried it and defrosted, it looks weird, goes all thick and gooey, but once its cooked as an omelette or scrambled, it looked and tasted fine!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 08:29 »
I put some info on freezing in an article at Allotment Foods which might help as it has a blanching table you can download and print out.
Courgettes don't really do too well but they are usable in a rissotto type dish after being frozen.
When we had tomatoes coming in faster than we could handle, I took to just putting them in bags and freezing. Not the best way, but they were OK for cooking and the skin came off easily.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 09:38 »
Courgettes grated (About 2 large ones) I cup plain flour, 1/2 cup oil, 2-3 eggs depending on size egg 1 cup grated cheese.... mix together and  pour quite sloppy mixture nto a dish.... bake int eh oven until set. delicious hot or cold!
PAmela  (in Spain who does not have an oven to cook this :( )

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 21:58 »
Lol, couldn't you cook it in a frying pan and pretend its a frittata???

shaun

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 22:50 »
there not bad on the barbi brushed with olive oil or threaded onto a skewer with chicken,onion and peppers

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 06:31 »
I made a lovely Courgette Risotto last night... Uuuhhhmm.. yum

Debz and Jon

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 23:03 »
We have had courgette quiche, courgette burgers, grilled courgettes, courgettes with feta, grildled courgettes, roasted courgettes - we actually look like courgettes now  :D Good thing is the kids have finally succumed to them (a case of having to or starve!  :D )

Jake

• Rockers
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 23:18 »
The wife made me take some to the pub with us. We gave away 2. Its a start.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

xx
Val's Courgette Pie

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2006, 23:19
by John
xx
courgette jam

Started by gert on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 13:05
by Maryann
xx
Courgette Tian

Started by Potterer on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 30, 2021, 12:19
by Potterer
xx
Courgette Convert

Started by bluealf on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

66 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 13:51
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.