A priceless comment!

• 12 Replies

Goosegirl

A priceless comment!
« on: September 16, 2018, 17:28 »
Yesterday I was helping out with the Heritage Open Day weekend for Cockersand Abbey Chapter House when four teenage girls came in and had a look around. Our local historian started telling them that the original floor was four foot lower than it is now because it was used as a mausoleum for the Dalton family who used to own it and about 16 members of the family are buried beneath the current floor. One of the girls made a hasty exit, but one looked down at the floor then looked up and said … wait for it … "Are they dead?" Absolutely priceless!!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: A priceless comment!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 18:11 »
That's a bit like asking how many are dead in the cemetery --  All of them.   Aw bless her.
Glad you had a good day and a bit of a laugh. :D :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 18:34 »
Marvellous!

It just shows what a good job you've done with your work on Cockersand Abbey, Goosey!

We're proud of you - it's been your project and yours alone, and to attract youngsters is a real achievement.

I only wish they'd let you dig up around the place and find all that gold and silver which is rumoured to be hidden about four ft down somewhere..;0)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 19:31 »
Shouldn't really larf at the teenagers, at least they were there and showing an interest, which is more than many would do today (or yesterday !).   You should be proud.  regards  Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 12:31 »
To be honest it wasn't the nicest of days and I knew straightaway they weren't at all interested in the Abbey, it was just a bit of shelter for them. Never mind, we had about 140 visitors in total including a coach load of walkers which bumped the numbers up somewhat.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 13:37 »
I think that sounds a good number to me, especially if the weather wasn't at its best.  Well done, Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 18:32 »
Goosey is underplaying all the work she has done on Cockersand Abbey.

She's been incredibly hard-working on all the detail for the place, and has researched countless documents on her own, and from this, a real 'old' place now has some proper actualisation, and if I lived locally, I'd have been there like a shot!

These ancient sites are just disappearing, and need a dedicated mind to bring them back so that people can at least understand some history, and explore it deeper.

Goosey's done that and I'm proud of her!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 15:57 »
That sounds like a good turnout, and you should feel rightly proud of how much you have achieved there to preserve local history: without you it may well have been lost  :D :D :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 16:02 »
Growster, that was a most lovely thing to say - thank you so much. For those who don't know about it, you can find it on-line and here are two pics - one of the outside and one taken of our display area during one of the Open Days. It's not what you would expect to see inside is it!
Abbey interior (600 x 398).jpg
Imported Photos 00096 (600 x 450).jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 16:24 »
Thanks Sunny too - just seen your post. I'm now working on another booklet about the history of Moss Lane where I live. I believe it dates back to the time of the Abbey and could once have been a wooden trackway over the marsh to Thurnham village on the top road then was made into a proper road well before 1661 when it needed repairing. Thurnham is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book as Tiernun so it's rather old to say the least! I have maps, details, and some pics of homes that were or are still here plus pics of some of the inhabitants. I'm now connecting these with my database of Thurnham residents (now well over 5,500) and will connect them together to bring their histories and existences alive. We all have our own histories that if not written down will be lost for ever.

chrissie B

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 09:18 »
ahh the innocence of youth  :D
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 15:45 »
Guess which way the wind blows there!
The windswept Abbey.jpg

mrs bouquet

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 17:01 »
All of those 'photos are brilliant.   What an achievement.   Congrats again on all your hardwork and researching.   All best wishes for the new project.  regards  Mrs Bouquet

clip
Without comment

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2018, 17:42
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 52 queries.