Summer Raspberries

• 4 Replies

MalcW

Summer Raspberries
« on: July 16, 2015, 14:44 »
Hi All

So, after an extended break away from this excellent forum we've moved house to sunny Devon; it means I had to give up my allotment, but now I have a garden which though small is a bit, er, challenging. At the end of the garden there are some summer raspberries. At least I assume they are, because they are fruiting well now. I know about cutting back this year's fruiting canes, but the whole thing is a bit unkempt. Should I just cut this year's fruiting canes back and leave the rest, then do the same next year, i.e. a 2 year project to bring them under control, or is there anything else I can do to get them under control?

Thanks,

Malc

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Summer Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 15:25 »
You could do it that way if you want some fruit next year.

I'd cut the lot down to the ground when they've finished fruiting, and see what comes up. You can always thin them out a bit when they start to regrow, if they're a bit out of control.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:06 »
After they've finished, I'd cut out this year's fruiting canes. You could also remove (tug or cut) the thinner new canes and save the better ones to give them a bit more space, then tie them in so they grow upright.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kate_S

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 09:51 »
We took over an allotment last September, and there were still some raspberries. I am not sure whether they are summer or Autumn variety. I cut them all back, but probably not back enough. They have grown very tall this year, but nearly finished fruiting, but many had no fruit at all. I presume I can cut them right back to the ground soon? Also how do I thin them? Just by  cutting back the weaker shoots every now and then, or should I dig some of them up as they do look crowded

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 11:07 »
If many had no fruit I'm wondering if they are summer fruiting ones as it's their new canes from the previous year that produce the fruit for the current year. If so, keep the canes that had no fruit then lift the roots of the weaker ones with a trowel and cut them off the parent plant. Tie in the strongest ones about 4" apart on wires.

xx
Summer Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 21:09
by mumofstig
thumbdown
Summer raspberries

Started by squirrelsdig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 17:54
by Growster...
xx
Summer Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 21:12
by beesrus
xx
Summer raspberries

Started by GWR on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2017, 21:40
by Fairy Plotmother

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 40 queries.