Feeding

• 13 Replies

Vienna Phil

Feeding
« on: July 16, 2008, 19:02 »
This is probably a really stupid question, so feel free to take the you know what, but I warned you I was a beginner. Anyway, here goes: in the month by month guide, John talks about 'feeding' tomato and potato plants;
What with?  I really want to be as organic as possible, so can I just add more organic compost around the bottom of the plants? Otherwise, what should I 'feed' them?

Looking forward to your posts.

Phil
"What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes,
he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow."
A.A. Milne

agapanthus

Feeding
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 22:04 »
You could add more compost, but a better way to give your plants a liquid feed. Any way you can get hold of cow or sheep manure or comfrey? Put some poo in a hessian sack...or similar...and dunk the whole thing in a dustbin full of water.Stir occasionally. In a couple of weeks you will have your 'feed'.The same thing with comfrey leaves....you need quite a few though.  Pour sufficient into a watering can and top up with water....the mixture should look like weak tea. Use this on your potatoes, tomatoes, chillies, cucumbers....anything really!!!

Vienna Phil

Feeding
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 23:16 »
Hi Agapanthus,

Thanks for your advice. I confess I had heard of comfrey but didn't really know what it was. Just did a google German search, and it seems to be used here as a kind of healing plant, for joints and fractures amongst other things. I searched the garden centre websites and none of them seem to stock it, but chemists do (obviously for afore mentioned ailments). If I need a lot, I don't think that is going to work somehow. I am not sure where I can get some poo from in Vienna, but I can get almost unlimited organic compost for free (the city of Vienna makes it from all the stuff we are required to recycle). I have used a lot already and it is great. Perhaps I will just pile a load more of that on my plot.

Best

Phil

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Feeding
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:38 »
i got some from the organic garden catalogue in may, 5.85 for 5 small roots, the plants are massive now grows really quick.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1492

its bocking14 which doesnt spread

gobs

Feeding
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:43 »
I'm sure you can get tomato feed though.

The plant is found in Hungary in aquatic plant supplies. Not cheap, could find some growing on a walk though and I didn't say that. 8)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Vienna Phil

Feeding
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:00 »
Thanks for your responses. Extensive searching on the internet leads me to believe that Austrians don't use comfrey as a plant feed at all. It is not available anywhere. Importing from the UK would be expensive I fear. Other organic feeds are available though, so I will just have to see what I can find. I will also keep using the free organic compost I get get from the council.

Best regards from a very rainy and cold Vienna.

gobs

Feeding
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 12:09 »
Have these been withdrawn? :wink:

LINK

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
Feeding
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 12:38 »
If you can get a hold of nettles, these can be used like comfrey for a liquid feed. What about putting some compost in a hessian sack and putting this in a bucket of water to extract the nutrients and use the resulting compost tea as a feed for your veg?

Martin

• Experienced Member
Feeding
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 13:43 »
Beans & Herbs at the Herbary in Horningsham in Wiltshire ship comfrey roots to European destinations for an additional £3. Don't know if you would see that as expensive. LINK
Martin

Vienna Phil

Feeding
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 19:04 »
Hi Martin/Greg,

Thanks a lot for the tips.

I am really wondering, if comfrey is so good, why on earth don't Austrian organic growers use it? I clearly need to get into contact with some and see what they do use. Organic, or 'Bio' farming as they call it, is really big here. Curious.

Vienna Phil

Feeding
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 19:06 »
Oh, forgot to ask; what does the hessian sack bring to the process exactly?
(Sorry if  my questions are irretrievably stupid).

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Feeding
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 21:53 »
when the process is complete u can put wots in the bag in ur compost -basically its to stop the bits in it blocking ur watering can.

i reckon u could be on to being famous - the man to bring comfrey tea to austria  :wink:

Vienna Phil

Feeding
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 22:36 »
Hi Gobs,

Great link, and no, the fiacres, as they are called,  most certainly haven't been withdrawn. There are loads of them in fact, therefore providing a source of great horse manure, lying right in the middle of the road in Vienna's swanky first district (the most expensive place in Austria). I am just wondering how I should stop the cars running me over  while I shovel it into my rucksack........

The other thing is, as I have a garden flat and not an allotment, and as I am surrounded by other garden flats, is using animal poo a bit problematic? I mean, the smell....flies???????

I look forward to your comments.

Phil

Vienna Phil

Feeding
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 22:42 »
Dear Weasel,

They seem to have it here, but they don't use it for gardening. It is some kind of herbal remedy for rheumatism and other aches and pains. Maybe my  
adopted countrymen and women are onto something that the Brits aren't?????????? Or then again, maybe not :?

xx
Feeding

Started by Maccbean on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 18:01
by Maccbean
xx
What should I be feeding now?

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 21:50
by jacnal
xx
Feeding

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 24, 2007, 20:37
by mkhenry
xx
feeding

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 09:32
by Kristen

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 38 queries.