What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2018, 21:52 »
Planted out a variety of plug raised brassicas as well as my Marketmore cukes and two Red Cherry toms.
DIsmantled a few more pallets which are going to be used to make my shiny new compost bins later in the week.

chillimummy

« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2018, 20:04 »
Planted two wigwams of peas and sowed a row of broad beans. Beans sown at home twice had not germinated so these were from my new seed order so hoping for germination.  ;)
Watered peas and onions that are starting to peep out of the soil.
Earthed up 2 rows of early potatoes which were peeping out of the soil.
Hoed away small weeds on bed ready for brassicas.
Really slow and poor germination this year, Sowed sprouts and cabbages ages ago and red cabbages done well, cilion have 2 plants and plenty of sprout plants but only 2 are decent size.         
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2018, 21:07 »
Added another two bags of green municipal waste  ( approx 100litres each) to compost bin 4 , and then watered and watered and watered as the plot was bone dry 😅

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2018, 21:59 »
Half killed myself digging out the solid clay bank at the back of the plot to site my new compost bin which is now half built.
S5000453.JPG
S5000455.JPG

pigeonpie

« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2018, 12:43 »
I looked at all the things I need to be getting on with... Sunday is a fiercely protected day here so no gardening allowed (although I did have a little tidy up of my seedlings, I hope no one saw! ☺️)

😱 by whom? When I worked Sundays were fiercely protected as my gardening day 😊

Sundays on the island are still deemed a day for quiet reflection. We're not meant to hang our washing out, you're not meant to be seen working on the house, garden, or land, and up to only a few years ago the swings in the children's play parks in places were chained up to prevent use!

Of course, there's no law preventing you from doing such things but in such small communities any breaking of the sabbath would upset some of the locals, and in particular the older generation, so I'm inclined to let it be and try to do quiet, unobtrusive jobs on a Sunday. It's a bit of a bummer when it's the only still day you get in a week though, and there's a bonfire that needs to be had, and some spraying to be done!

snowdrops

« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2018, 13:23 »
I looked at all the things I need to be getting on with... Sunday is a fiercely protected day here so no gardening allowed (although I did have a little tidy up of my seedlings, I hope no one saw! ☺️)

😱 by whom? When I worked Sundays were fiercely protected as my gardening day 😊

Sundays on the island are still deemed a day for quiet reflection. We're not meant to hang our washing out, you're not meant to be seen working on the house, garden, or land, and up to only a few years ago the swings in the children's play parks in places were chained up to prevent use!

Of course, there's no law preventing you from doing such things but in such small communities any breaking of the sabbath would upset some of the locals, and in particular the older generation, so I'm inclined to let it be and try to do quiet, unobtrusive jobs on a Sunday. It's a bit of a bummer when it's the only still day you get in a week though, and there's a bonfire that needs to be had, and some spraying to be done!
d

Thank you for the explanation, I did wonder if that’s what you meant but didn’t think there was anywhere that still practised those sort of restrictions. I won’t be looking to move there in the near future then. I’d soon be asked to leave  or burned at the stake  for heresy or something lol
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 13:24 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

pigeonpie

« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2018, 14:50 »
Today I've been potting on my courgettes, squash, and green beans. They're all looking mighty fine and have almost 100%  germination.

I'm now trying to work out where to put them in between hardening them off... I can't wait to get my potting shed and polycrub up, until then thank goodness for deep windowsills!

chillimummy

« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2018, 11:47 »
Weeded around my strawberries as had got a bit overgrow while focusing on weeding and digging rest of plot, catching up from bad weather  ;) Looking so much better  :)
Have lots of little strawberry runners in pots to plant next visit.
Still have patch under black plastic to dig over next to strawberry bed so when ready, going to use some of it to extend my strawberry bed and will put another small path in.
Plot looks so much more manageable with paths I have put in.  :)
At home sowed PSB, sweetcorn minipop which is new to try for me, calabrese, tomato sweetbaby.
Sowed pumpkin, butternut squash, lark sweetcorn and courgettes few days ago at home.

chillimummy

« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2018, 14:35 »
Picked up some paving slabs from freecycle and quick visit to plot to drop them off.
Have lovely plum tree at bottom end of plot but soil in front of it is compacted and have had covered with black plastic to keep weeds down.
Can't grow anything there and at the moment have my plastic bench there.
Going to make a paving area with weed fabric and wood chippings and take a couple of deckchairs to put in shed  :)   

Aled

« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2018, 11:14 »
Pigeonpie where on the Isle of Lewis are you based? One of my oldest friends lives on Tiuigsmarry (spelling?) he ran Wild West Beef Jerky.

First of my plants are poking through the soil.
Cheers
Aled

pigeonpie

« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2018, 12:05 »
Pigeonpie where on the Isle of Lewis are you based? One of my oldest friends lives on Tiuigsmarry (spelling?) he ran Wild West Beef Jerky.

First of my plants are poking through the soil.
Cheers
Aled

Do you mean Timsgarry in Uig? (Also spelt Timsgearraidh) As the crow flies it's not too far from where we are, but by road about 35 minutes!

We're on the small island of Great Bernera, just off the west coast (thankfully joined to the main by a bridge!)

Aled

« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2018, 13:55 »
Yes you are correct pigeonpie, very near the Uig Lodge. My old school pal Richard Davies lives there, he was a ghillie on the Fhorsa river for many years. We attended his wedding there back in 2007.  A beautiful location.
Cheers
Aled

AnneB

« Reply #222 on: May 19, 2018, 19:32 »
Today I potted up some more tomatoes that I have raised in the greenhouse at home and took them to their home in the allotment polytunnel.
I also planted out some Cobra beans. 
Watered a neighbour's plot as she is on holiday.
Showed 3 people looking for a plot round the site,  a fourth didn't show up.  Those that came took a plot, filled in all the forms for the Council and paid their Association subs on the spot.  Pleased about that.
Back tomorrow morning as 1 couple want to hire the strimmer.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2018, 20:12 »
Planted out sweetcorn and mini corn under protective tunnels, plus started planting out beans.  Came home and did a lot of weeding and potting on.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2018, 20:49 »
Planted out some raspberries & gooseberries that I'd been given ages ago but never taken out of the pots.
Also finished my compost bin, complete with 'modular' sliding front gates to make easier to fill and empty the heap.
S5000456.JPG
S5000457.JPG
S5000458.JPG

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 55 queries.