green house, polytunnel or hot-bed?

• 2 Replies

ChattyA

green house, polytunnel or hot-bed?
« on: June 20, 2018, 17:15 »
Hello friends! When I was surfing the Internet I came across the topic of green houses, polytunnels and hot-beds. Which one is the best? What do you think? I would like to have one of them in my garden; however, I don't know which one is the best. Plants that I would like to grow are some veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers etc. and also fruits like strawberries. I don't want a big one, but one that will be sufficient for me.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
Re: green house, polytunnel or hot-bed?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 15:32 »
Polytunnels are more cost effective but greenhouses are more pleasing to the eye (imho), so if it's in your garden I'd say greenhouse. With careful planning you can get a surprising amount of fruit and veg from a standard 6ft by 8ft greenhouse, but general advice would be to get the biggest you can afford and fit comfortably in your garden. I started with a 6x8, but have now gone up to a 8x18 and sometimes still wish i had more space in there!

I have no experience of hot beds, so can't offer anything advice on those!
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

Mr Dog

Re: green house, polytunnel or hot-bed?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 17:22 »
2nd hand greenhouses can often be picked up quite cheaply - internet auction sites and also if you see a neglected one in a garden ask, often the owner will be glad to be rid, being good places to look. I'm not entirely convinced that tunnels are that much cheaper (certainly not significantly) when you factor in replacement covers over the years. Many greenhouse sellers often have sales with big reductions on normal prices - eg The Gteenhouse People often have end of line offers, usually with added extras such as staging and auto vents.

xx
Heating polytunnel / G / house.

Started by wapello on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post February 24, 2018, 19:13
by wapello
xx
Anyone Use their car as a green house

Started by Madame Cholet on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 21:44
by Madame Cholet
xx
green house

Started by colinc on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 00:10
by cooperman
xx
green house?

Started by pawsnclaws on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 19:55
by Thephoenix572

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.