Big feather pecking problem

• 12 Replies

honeysuckle farm

« on: December 11, 2008, 10:31 »
One of my girls (my best layer) out of the blue (I have had them about 5 months) has taken to feather pecking the others, she has really stripped one of the birds and has now started on the others.  I have ordered some anti-peck spray and used purple spray on the birds with skin exposed.

Today I removed the girl who is pecking to an ajoining cage with lots of things hung up for her to peck, just to give the other girls some restbite from the pecking and to let their feathers grow back.

I feel bad about isolating her, but also bad for the girls who have bald patches in this weather.

Have I done the right thing by separting the agressor or should I have separated the girls being pecked from the flock?  How long should I keep them separated?  (I plan to reintergrate her at night as the pecking only happens in the daytime and I only have one chicken house)

Any help would be really appreciated Thanks

Vember

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:19 »
Hi Hsf

I would say yes you've done the right thing in separating the bully.
Has the Purple spray not stopped her doing it :?

Bodger has some chicken specks that help stop feather pecking, it might be an idea to get some of those then you wouldn't need to keep them separate :D

Sarah :)

honeysuckle farm

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 11:59 »
Thanks Sarah

I am learning new stuff all the time and really appreacite your help

No the purple spray didn't stop it at all.  To be honest I don't know if I got the right purple spray!  I asked in Scats and they showed me to the horse section and the product called 'purple spray' (that basically is what it says on the bottle.)

What are Chicken Specks - they sound interesting?

Thanks again for your help

Vember

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:46 »
There's some info about them here :

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=25606

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=17828&highlight=chicken+specs

I've never used them so your best bet is to PM Bodger :D

And yes the Purple spray is called just that  :)

Sarah :)

Bodger

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 13:12 »
just say the word HS and I'll post you some. :lol:

honeysuckle farm

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 14:05 »
Thanks Bodger

I've sent you a PM

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 19:45 »
I would  be tempted to separate the aggressor as well to take her a peg or two down the pecking order.
I have to say I fear that if you really cant get her out of the habit despite taking all precautions sometimes it is best to cull a feather pecker :(

sunshinemedic

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 20:19 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
I would  be tempted to separate the aggressor as well to take her a peg or two down the pecking order.

How do you drop a chook down the pecking order?

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 22:10 »
Quote from: "sunshinemedic"
Quote from: "Foxy"

How do you drop a chook down the pecking order?

by removing the top hen from the main flock and placing her in her own pen or hutch temporarily, means the flock readjust the hieracy without her.By placing her back around a week later means she naturally isnt top hen anymore. It can help bullying or pecking -as the "pecked" hen is literally higher up the ranking and may therefore retaliate as she will feel more confident this more assertive behaviour sends out a message "go and pick on someone else mate!"  :D However, it is important to check the bullied hen isn't ill or weak -that in itself can provoke bullying.

sunshinemedic

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 07:47 »
Great info! Thanks, Foxy  :D

honeysuckle farm

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 08:09 »
Thanks for all you help with this and a big thank you to Bodger for offering to send the chicken specs.  I have separated the bully and she seems happy enough on her own.  The rest of the hen pecked flock now seem much more confident and happy too

I'm afraid I'm after abit more advice if anyone can help.  The worst of the pecked girls lost most of her feathers around her chest and is now developing a respiratory problem (only a very slight weeze at this stage), But obviously the cold weather has affected her.

I have given her the Baytrill as proscribed by the vet and she has perked up a bit and her breathing is a bit better.  She is eating and otherwise normal.

Is there any thing else I can do to keep this poor bald girl warm in the cold weather.  Thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 08:18 »
Keep her on the baytril for the full course and make sure she wears her t-shirt.  :wink:

This is Babe's little Evie

sunshinemedic

Specs??
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 22:42 »
Just found this on the web http://www.regencypoultry.com/heathcare/anti_peck/beak_bits.htm
Never seen them on the market before?

xx
Feather pecking

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 14:55
by Bodger
xx
Feather pecking or ......

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 18:18
by bettyblue
xx
feather pecking

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 11:06
by fourmoon
xx
Feather pecking

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:37
by Sassy

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 39 queries.