Preserving Savoy Cabbage?

• 7 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
Preserving Savoy Cabbage?
« on: October 26, 2010, 17:33 »
I've managed to unearth some Savoy cabbages from among the weeds on my plot.  One of them was even quite an impressive size - I harvested that one, as the slugs had had a good nibble on one side, and once I'd taken the outer leaves off it only just fitted in my washing up bowl.

We've been eating that cabbage all week - in a tomato and chorizo stew, in a white wine and cannellini bean stew, as a side dish with garlic, in fried rice... - and I still haven't come to the end of it.  Assuming the bit that's lurking in the bottom of the fridge isn't quite compost-worthy yet, we'll be eating it tonight, as well, and I'm feeling less than enthusiastic.

That was definitely the largest of the cabbages, even when I'd cut out the slug damage, but even so I'm not looking forward to even a moderate cabbage mountain when I cut the next one.  Is there some way of preserving the cabbage so we don't have to eat a whole one at once?  Red cabbage I could braise and freeze, but I'm not whether a Savoy would stand up to that.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Preserving Savoy Cabbage?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 17:54 »
The 'freezing' page of the main website says this about freezing cabbage:

Cabbage (Green & Red) Use only young, crisp cabbage. Wash thoroughly, shred finely. Blanch, cool and drain. Pack in small quantities in polythene bags [blanching time 1½ min].
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

dumpling

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 18:40 »
Howsabout Sauerkraut?

I would love to try making some, although I think it's a bit involved to do properly.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 21:58 »
The only way I like cabbage is sauteed with shallots and bacon, same as you would brussels (only way I like brussels too).

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 22:14 »
I found this recipe for sauerkraut on google.  I can't say if it's any good as I've never made sauerkraut but it sounds like the method I've seen my brother's girlfriend use.

dumpling

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:30 »
Thanks for that, looks magical,  now I understand what was happening in that Polanski Vampire film - treading the cabbage!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 21:14 »
Non of this namby panby recipe's.   The only way to preserve savoy cabbage is ....KIMCHEE  :ohmy::ohmy:! :ohmy::tongue2:    Magic stuff and amazing to watch anyone eating it for the first time.  Serve it straight frome the fridge.     Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:57 »
Thanks for the suggestions! I was a bit worried that it might go rather mushy when frozen, as savoy doesn't have quite the same crunchiness as some cabbages. Sauerkraut and kimchee sound interesting but rather daunting!

xx
Savoy Cabbage.

Started by mrs bouquet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2008, 22:09
by Yorkie
xx
Storing savoy and red cabbages?

Started by Potterer on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 10, 2023, 18:02
by coldandwindy
xx
Storing Savoy Cabbages

Started by freefolk on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2018, 18:02
by snowdrops
xx
New to preserving..

Started by cudders on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 14:55
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 38 queries.