Cordless strimmer advice please...

• 10 Replies

Growster...

Cordless strimmer advice please...
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:24 »
As advised by several good people here, the 'Patch' has been dug to form about 30 beds, with narrow paths.

This also means that there are now quite a lot of paths to keep clear, and edged. More than quite a lot actually - one heck of a lot...

As there's no power nearby, and Mrs Growster's purse is inscrutable (as it should be), I'm looking at options for a rechargeable one.

I think a petrol one will probably be out of our range at the moment - a good one that is, but I've been peering at Growsterbay's offerings, and can see names like 'Challenge' (Ice has one I think), 'Ryobi', and of course, B and D and Bosch - the latter seems to quite a good bet at around £45.00 delivered.

Does the team think that I'll get a billy bargain on the Bosch?

wighty

Re: Cordless strimmer advice please...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 20:46 »
I bought a  a Draper cordless strimmer for using on our alotment and find it fine.  I can use it and so can Paul.  The Petrol one comes out when we need to clear the bottom end and I can only go about six inches before it 'conks out' on me.  The battery fully charged lasts about three weeks (on a once a week use). Can't remember the price now,have had it about five years.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 21:38 »
My Challenge strimmer is donkeys years old and still going strong.  Nowadays the battery doesn't hold a charge for as long.  It always performed well on my old allotment.  Can't comment on the others though. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:39 »
Growster, it's all down to the battery. You need to get one with a Lithium-ion battery rather than Ni-Cads, and it needs to have a good amp-hour rating. The older Ni-cads have "memory" which can shorten their usefull life if are not fully discharged before each recharge.
I bought an El-cheapo spear and Jackson (einhell) petrol strimmer from argos some years ago that is going strong still. I think it's around the £100 mark now.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 17:52 »
I bought a  a Draper cordless strimmer for using on our alotment and find it fine.  I can use it and so can Paul.  The Petrol one comes out when we need to clear the bottom end and I can only go about six inches before it 'conks out' on me.  The battery fully charged lasts about three weeks (on a once a week use). Can't remember the price now,have had it about five years.

Thanks Wighty, I see that Draper strimmers are possibly at the high end of the bank balance, but your info is very useful, as one may pop up on 'Growsterbay' at some stage!

I keep dropping hints to the old boys down at the Patch, who have about three each, but so far - no avail...;0)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 17:54 »
My Challenge strimmer is donkeys years old and still going strong.  Nowadays the battery doesn't hold a charge for as long.  It always performed well on my old allotment.  Can't comment on the others though. :)

Thank you Ice, it was your comments which got me wondering last year! There seems to be a good array of 'Challengs' around too, which means a bitmore research.

Batteries seem to be a sticking points too (see below to Gwiz).

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 17:59 »
Growster, it's all down to the battery. You need to get one with a Lithium-ion battery rather than Ni-Cads, and it needs to have a good amp-hour rating. The older Ni-cads have "memory" which can shorten their usefull life if are not fully discharged before each recharge.
I bought an El-cheapo spear and Jackson (einhell) petrol strimmer from argos some years ago that is going strong still. I think it's around the £100 mark now.

Many thanks Gwiz. I've been poking around on the net to se how they all perform, and was told in no uncertain terms that it had to be a Li-Ion one. Its interesting Wikiing 'memory' in batteries, and seeing what actually goes on with Nicads too.

I didn't know Einhell were by S and J either! Actually, I like all these mentioned here, but there are comlaits about the tine ion the Bosch being a bit breakable. I've always had spool strimmers before, and also have several hards of the stuff spare...;0)

(Hope you're still on the mend too;0)

grendel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 18:24 »
cadge one with a dead battery and replace the batteries. I got a whole bunch of cordless drills etc from b&Q for just a couple of quid each - ex display - wired them up to a 12v plug and use them in the car - or from a portable power pack.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 18:39 »
Regretably, it's the other way around. S&J are made by Einhell.
As grendall says, it is possable to replace the Ni-cads in some batterys. It's worth a go if you can get a dead machine at the right price (free) :)

grendel

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 18:54 »
I also bought a whole batch of batteries at b&q one year - going cheap as they had stopped selling  the models the batteries fit, got them for about £5 each, swapped the cells into the battery packs of some dead drills.
Grendel

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 20:32 »
My battery problem might also be that I have on occasion put it on to charge and forgotten about it for a day or so. ::)  If it were to break tomorrow would I get another one?  Yes, if money was tight.

xx
Cordless strimmer

Started by snowdrops on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post June 14, 2018, 18:51
by snow white
xx
cordless strimmer

Started by Jo on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 21:41
by pedro
xx
cordless strimmer

Started by mandycharlie on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 11:42
by Bombers
xx
Robust cordless strimmer?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 12:01
by New shoot

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 38 queries.