"Rockery" plants for a sun-dappled site.

• 0 Replies

Goosegirl

"Rockery" plants for a sun-dappled site.
« on: October 24, 2018, 14:32 »
I have a very big sycamore at one end of the garden that faces east, and a large lime tree just down from it on the left. The sycamore "bed" area is slightly raised towards the tree. Frankly this area is doing nothing except for snowdrops in spring and a couple of Fritillaries. I have a lot of fairly flat thick paving stones and lots of big and small stones and cobbles which are also doing nothing. I was thinking of making some sort of little dry stone edge out of the paving which will form a gentle curve around the tree base, and then perhaps splitting it into two so it ties in with a little stone-edged path which goes around the back of the garden. I could do with some suggestions for small plants that will enjoy the late morning dappled light and also the drier conditions under the tree. My first thoughts for a spring show are Hellebores, some ferns, crocuses, dwarf tulips and violas; for autumn my autumn crocuses are doing nicely in part shade so more of them but I'm a bit stuck for summer plants. I like heucheras and dwarf geraniums, so any more ideas will be very welcome.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 36 queries.