Making my garden Manageable

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Making my garden Manageable
« on: August 22, 2018, 12:45 »
Knowing that I am going to have back surgery, I have been reflecting on what is the most difficult and hardwork things.
I have a Wisteria, that thinks its a Triffid.   The posts and trellis that support it are rotten.  So it has to go, new posts and x beams erected and easy annuals to go up the posts.
The Mullian (is it called Verbascum,)  very pretty for a couple of weeks, then huge great leaves which harber the snails.  It takes up too much space - its coming out next week.    Some of the Rubbeckia, comes out, just too much (although it looks lovely just now)

As for the huge grape vine, growing overhead.  I have to swing out off a small wall, with a 3 drop below to cut it back, it won't stop growing!  and given balance issues (menieres Disease) a bit dodgy.
  I still don't know about that. 

Shall I buy a lawn mower that cuts remotely and docks itself to charge (my lawn is only about 12' x 20')
 Do you know anything about these expensive toys ?

What can I buy at the plant fair, in 10 days time, that will stay neat and slim, flower continually all summer,  -  oh dear, I just don,t know  -  is the answer artificial  :lol: :lol:)

Any advice, plants names etc, comments, will be very much appreciated.    The price of getting old  ::)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Making my garden Manageable
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 17:24 »
How well behaved are asters?  They can flower for a long time
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 12:38 »
Thanks Yorkie.  I have done a search, and Asters are a definite YES.  There are a small variety, and so those go on the stay list. thanks again, Mrs Bouquet

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 14:16 »
Mrs bouquet, just make sure you don’t get the sort of asters that get mildew!
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 16:09 »
Ah, always a snag, thanks I shall be very choosey and ask the question.  Mrs Bouquet

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:56 »
Once you've removed the rotten trellis & wisteria do you need to replace it with anything; perhaps you can save some work there?

Herbaceous plants are quite high maintenance with all the cutting down, staking, & splitting of clumps etc.,  so perhaps consider instead low maintenance shrubs (e.g. Choisya Sundance), small trees such as acers, heathers & conifers growing through a weed control fabric. Anything slow growing.

G&R

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 11:31 »
Yesterday I took all the rotten trellis down, and removed all of the Wisteria, it was huge.  The Xbeams are rotten as well, I have managed to remove 2 of them.   When my Darling OH built this structure, he certainly built it to last bless him.
I now have 6 uprights, one of which has to come out (concrete base as well) and be replaced if I keep them.
I was thinking maybe 6 costly diamond shape finials for the tops and then painting it all black, so that I can replace the bird boxes, and grew a few bits up them ie: sweet-peas, a few runners etc.
Now a friend has said the same as you, just get the whole lot out, and buy a pretty obelisk, paint it, and grow something up it.  She said it will still look pretty then in the winter.   
I am totally lost to know what to do  :unsure:  I think I need a delegation of Allotmenteers to come and ponder and access, and then decide  :) :) :)  Mrs Bouquet

xx
Making Changes

Started by chris mutter on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2020, 13:55
by mrs bouquet
smiley
Making you own compost

Started by LeanneN on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2020, 20:18
by jezza
xx
Making your own pots

Started by milan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 10:36
by Aunt Sally
xx
Making Fertilizer

Started by LittleRedHen on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 20:13
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 36 queries.