Please advice on planting on beetroot

• 12 Replies

missmoneypenny

Please advice on planting on beetroot
« on: June 19, 2018, 19:33 »
Hello. I have some beetroot plantlets in modules awaiting planting out. They are about 2 inches tall and have true leaves now. I think they are about 4 weeks old. The last ones I planted out did miserably ( most died) so I need advice.
Some questions: the stalks are long, about 1.5 to 2 inches and below this is a very wispy little root. Should I bury some of the stalk under the ground when I plant out? I thought this might give them a firmer start, but I could be wrong.
Should I sieve the soil? Pre water the soil? I’m hoping to plant out in a week but it looks to be very hot here next week. Should I plant out earlier so they can get used to being outdoors before the heatwave? Thanks for any advice.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Please advice on planting on beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 19:55 »
Here is how I plant them, if this helps:
- if the roots of the plants are really tangled together, soak them well before teasing them apart
- draw a line in the soil and give it a really good soak
- poke a hole in this soaked bit with your finger, about 3 cm deep
- dangle the beetroot root down the hole as far as where the leaves join the stem and then gently firm around it with your fingers
- leave about 8-10cm and plant the next one

If it is really hot sunshine, then put something up to shade them, such as some debris netting or even fleece over some hoops. You can leave this up as long as needed

The plants should perk up by the next day, but might take a while before they start to grow new leaves. Water every three or four days, by pouring water long the edges of the lne of baby plants, not directly onto them. This stops them getting washed out of the ground and makes sure the water soaks in, not just wets the surface. I use a small watering can without a rose on it for this
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 20:09 »
I too grow beetroot in modules (direct sown just don't work on my plot) and plant out the whole modules as they come (ie as a clump of usually several seedlings) approx. 9" apart and 12" between rows. As they grow the beetroots push themselves apart and grow fine. I do have to net them to protect them from the sparrows until they become established.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 20:11 by Mr Dog »

missmoneypenny

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 20:57 »
Thanks both that’s great advice. I will pre soak the ground and plant up to the leaves. Also protect with some netting. That definitely sounds like good advice. I love beetroot and have planted lambs lettuce specially as they pair up so well in salad! Any more advice?

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 22:54 »
I plant out in modules & sow some direct, I make a drill, then water it well before sowing the seeds 2 or 3 to a station, cover with dry soil.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:03 »
Could it maybe be the soil that makes it harder for them?

I was wondering because I have tried beets in sand and clay and the clay ones always had a hard time (now also) but the sand ones did really well..

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 13:21 »
Despite having never met Sunshineband I pretty much do the same, never really had any problems other than slimey beasts coming in over night with munchies so I tend throw some crushed egg shell around them just to give that extra barrier.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 20:12 »
Despite having never met Sunshineband I pretty much do the same, never really had any problems other than slimey beasts coming in over night with munchies so I tend throw some crushed egg shell around them just to give that extra barrier.

There is less damage from the nightime slitherers with it being so dry, but I like the idea of the egg shells. My "go to" (funnily enough), during wetter times are beer traps ... very cheap beer, obviously  :lol: :lol:

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 00:55 »
I plant out in modules & sow some direct, I make a drill, then water it well before sowing the seeds 2 or 3 to a station, cover with dry soil.
In plain English please ??Thanks

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:26 »
Ok, weed the ground, make a little dip pulling the soil away about 1/2 an inch in a straight line for as long as you want the row to be. Gently poor water into the dip & let it soak in, then water again & let it soak in. Every 4 inches place 3 or 4 seeds. Cover with dry soil, put a label in, stand back & wait for the leaves to appear. As the beetroot grow they will push each other out of the way & you just pick them as they get to the size you want them. Start to water once the leaves have appeared

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 09:28 »
Wow Snowdrops, great idiot proof answer , thank you , will just do that.
Perhaps you could help with my question on Growing Courgettes in Pots ? Thanks

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 19:45 »
Pleased to be of service 😊.
 I’ll look out for the courgette ?

missmoneypenny

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 20:43 »
Just coming back to say I followed the advice above: pre watering the soil, and planting to the bottom of the leaves. I dug a trench and rubbed the soil to a finer tilth around the plants. So far they are doing better than the last lot I planted, despite the high heat here ( around 30C). I have been going in at the end of the day to water. Fingers crossed. Thanks to everyone who came here with good advice.

xx
planting beetroot and cabbage

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2007, 10:43
by new_2_veg
xx
red onions - planting beetroot in between rows?

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 17:01
by kingston boy
xx
Planting beetroot plug plants

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 06:27
by Donnay
clip
Beetroot advice please?!

Started by Carlh80 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2020, 15:30
by lettice

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 51 queries.