pop ups on allotment org

• 24 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: pop ups on allotment org
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 17:37 »
it's still there at top and bottom of page says c priizeworld in bottom right corner  jezza

John has explained about the Google ads, but these type pop-ups usually get onto your computer via your internet browser and there isn't anything he can do his end to make them go away.

Have you got any anti-virus software on your computer?  If so I would run a scan and maybe a clean as well if that is an option.  If you are using Windows software you can also go to the Control Panel, choose the Network & Internet option and clear your browsing history and cookies via that.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 11:40 »
Right, we've run a full scan on our server and checked the code we output. We're clean.
Most likely cause is malware on the user's system. Incidentally, I've twice had adverts on Facebook that link to a page that attempts to insert malware onto my computer.

However, there have been some cases of adverts on the Google system serving similar scam pop ups (in the USA). The way it works is the scammers have a legitimate advert which Google serve and once approved and running they alter the code in some way to serve the pop-up (totally contrary to the T&Cs). This seems to be related to a vulnerability in Google's system that mainly affects Safari browsers.  I expect Google will resolve this very soon. Google adverts are often linked to the visitor - that's why the same adverts follow you around.

Anyway, to recap:

It's nothing I'm doing  and totally outside of my control
It's most often linked to malware on the visitor's system
It's possibly a rogue advert on Google's system that they are working on preventing from functioning.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Plot 1 Problems

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 16:08 »
Semi-related, go to google.com/takeout and download every piece of data google has on you. It can be quite an eye opener!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 18:50 »
Semi-related, go to google.com/takeout and download every piece of data google has on you. It can be quite an eye opener!
I invented a clock!!! I didn't know that.

Plot 1 Problems

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 22:16 »
Easy to forget things as the years go by ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 12:12 »
This extremely irritating ad doesn't appear when using IE11, but is there at both top and bottom of the forum page when using Chrome, which I recently decided to use as my default browser.  ::)

Thought I'd summarise the things I've tried to get rid of this ad, which seems to originate from a website called aldaniti.net, which has an extremely poor rating to say the least:

Ran Malwarebytes (free)  - nothing found
Ran Adwcleaner (free) - found several 'PUPS' which I deleted, although none of them seemed to relate to aldaniti.
Ran Hitmanpro (free trial) - found 3 tracking cookies which I deleted.

Nope!  :mad:

Went into Chrome's settings>advanced>reset settings to disable browser extensions and delete all cookies.

Success!  :D

This sort of stuff is way outside my comfort/knowledge zone so I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else, although the scanners mentioned all have good reputations and it's extremely unlikely you will suffer anything more than the inconvenience of having to manually log back into any site (including this one) which uses cookies to store your login details.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:41 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants, and plonk your potatoes in the soil.

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 12:43 »
That's really interesting - I use Firefox & Chrome mainly. Went onto Ebay using Chrome (Chrome for the personal account, Firefox for the business) and the entire browser window was taken over by some "BT Customer, You have won a Samsung.."
Closed down the browser and all programs then ran a full scan with AVG (Clean) and then the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx
4 hours later that told me I was clean.
So it does seem some sort of interaction involving Chrome is involved.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 14:04 »
Don't remember 'interesting' being amongst the descriptions I was coming up with during the many hours I spent trying to get to the bottom of this!  :lol:

This and many similar ads seems to have been around for several years, and there are several articles 'out there' about how to deal with aldaniti.net, nearly all of them multi-stage, the last of which as often as not is manual editing of the Windows registry!  :ohmy:  :ohmy:  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:42 by JayG »

jezza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 19:41 »
  I haven't got chrome it wont download on my computer i have Microsoft edge (if that means anything ) then something called Bing  I have just removed avg   jezza

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 20:09 »
  I haven't got chrome it wont download on my computer i have Microsoft edge (if that means anything ) then something called Bing  I have just removed avg   jezza
You do know that AVG is a program that protects you from computer viruses? If you don't like AVG there are many others but you do need one on your system.
Bing is a web site operated by Microsoft - you've probably set it as your browser home page.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.