Base for aluminium green house

• 2 Replies

RichardA

Base for aluminium green house
« on: September 30, 2017, 17:27 »
I am having to move both of my aluminium green houses. They are currently on blockwork bases that I laid myself which are stood on paving slabs but I am looking for an easier way this time. (getting older and less keen to mix mortar etc) Has anyone had experience of putting new timber sleepers on edge in a ring to form the upstand plus more inside each side of a central path to form the beds with paving slabs as the foundations for the sleepers.
This worked well for a log cabin I built and I like working with wood so thinking this might be something to try. Bit bothered about timber lasting but same method is used for raised beds so think should work. Any experience or opinions would be appreciated, please.
Many thanks
R

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Base for aluminium green house
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:28 »
Our SIL has sleepers on slabs as one side of his greenhouse base, having run out of bricks, and it seems fine. A bit easier to level than bricks.

Suggestion: have you thought of making the base two sleepers tall, to give a greater height in the eaves? I know it creates a step but it might be worth considering
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RichardA

Re: Base for aluminium green house
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 15:18 »
Good advice. I am thinking of going for two sleepers on edge high and my present GHs are on two courses of block and both the plants and myself (6ft 2) appreciate the extra height. Also lets me have a light in there without banging my head.
I am also having to move my 30 by 14 feet polytunnel and as space is getting limited ( we are planning to build a bungalow) I am going to break it into two polytunnels each 15 by 14. First tunnels who supplied it have been great so far in answering a dozen questions and in identifying what I will need to make two from one, such as an extra hoop, extra doors, bracing, fittings etc and the tunnel was near to needing new covers anyway after well over 10 years so if/when planning consent comes through all the garden buildings will be on the move. Busy winter I hope.
Thanks for the advice,
R

xx
Green house base

Started by NettleBed on Design and Construction

21 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 16:25
by Elm street
xx
Bought a Green house - which way should I set it up

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 09:02
by mumofstig
xx
Green House Glazing...

Started by N.WalesIdealist on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 21:58
by N.WalesIdealist
xx
green house modifications.

Started by Amilo on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post December 30, 2013, 21:27
by JayG

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 35 queries.