wyevale seed sale

• 87 Replies

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: wyevale seed sale
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2014, 17:13 »
Was forced to visit Wyevale in Thatcham by a friend, and was pleasantly surprised that they had left the 50p seed packets all neatly on their racks, not thrown them all in a heap. How civilised  :D :D

Now wishing i'd gone to Thatcham not Dummer today (both about the same distance), Sunshine. Dummer had all their seeds in trugs, Mike & I wasted an hour of our lives looking for the things on the list, and still failed on the Sweetcorn front, as the only packs they had were the ones we bought this time last year, and they haven't been great :-(
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2014, 09:48 »
I went to the Rugby one yesterday. In buckets but I had a great time rummaging through.
Managed to buy a few packets too! ;)
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

cadalot

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2014, 13:48 »
Note to self - Next year visit the Dorking Branch first - OK not on racks on tables and in Tugs but a lot more variation than Lower Morden Lane and Purley way - It was good that I was not on a time limit as it took some time to sort out what I wanted. So now a proud owner of another 73 packets of seeds.  :ohmy:

But in my defence they are mostly use by 2016 and 2017, so if the Garden Centre do get bought out then at least I'm good for the next 2 and a half years.

Now I need to go an buy another large plastic toolbox to store them in   :nowink: 

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2014, 16:57 »
Ok, still looking in garden centres for something other than seeds...

... but at Tamar View Garden Centre on the way home from Cornwall, I happened across 2 big tubs of seeds reduced to 49p each ;) :D

14 more packets (flowers, veggies and herbs) for the paltry sum of £6.86 - worth £34.35p - bargain!!

Still haven't found this other stuff yet, got close though - will have to order it over the tinternet I reckon :)

Mbmyco2

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2014, 19:17 »
oh my what did i start here. went to the braintree branch all still on racks and i only bought 22 packets = £11 not the £64 they should have been still looking for gherkins and sweetcorn mmmmm
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2014, 15:10 »
I managed to get everything except cucumbers :)

Plus 6 different sweetpeas  ::) the marigolds/tagetes for the plot and greenhouse and the lobelia and petunias for the garden baskets/pots.

Also picked up a pack of winter flowering cyclamen seeds, so we'll see if they germinate. Worth a try at that price  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2014, 14:33 »
uh-oh....anyone seen this?
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/27/uk-terra-firma-cap-gardencentre-idUKKBN0GR24N20140827

Apropos of this, did anyone else get the email today,
The Garden Centre Group is changing its name to Wyevale Garden Centres. Our new name has a great heritage; the first Wyevale Garden Centre was where it all started for us, and was one of the first in the UK.

Each individual garden centre will keep its own name, as part of the Wyevale Garden Centres family.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2014, 14:49 »
Hahaha ... I wish I was a marketing agency.

1. Get client to change company name.  Send them an invoice for £MegaBucks
2. Get client to change the name back again. Send them another invoice for £MegaBucks

I always thought "The Garden Centre Group" was an incredibly silly name. "I;m going to The Garden Centre Group Garden Centre" ... <Thud!>

snowdrops

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2014, 14:51 »
I just say I'm going to Woodlands( original name when an independent nursery) and hubby goes <thud> :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2014, 15:04 »
Me too, I still say "off to Wyevale".  Turns out I was ahead of my time, rather than being stuck in the mud as my whole family thought :D

I don't suppose Blooms, another The Garden Centre Group brand, will be thrilled ... that's a very strong name, albeit no longer connected with the Blooms family (who run a wholesale nursery alongside the, now owned by TGCG, Retail outlet, and presumably Bressingham Gardens is still owned by the Blooms).  Very blinking confusing ...

cadalot

« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2014, 15:24 »
But are they changing the name back because they want to sell it and everyone still calls them Wyevale's anyway?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2014, 15:26 »
Maybe, perhaps they stand more chance of selling them individually, rather than as a group - who knows

Ema

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2014, 22:30 »
Went into the salisbury store over the weekend they had quiet a few packets at 50p. I got a lot for 10p at the beginning of dec last year so I will hold out. Not that I need anymore seeds...

smiley
Annual 50p-a-Packet seed sale at Garden Centre Group / Wyevale

Started by Kristen on Frugal Living

76 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 10:04
by joyfull
xx
Wyevale Sale

Started by DD. on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 14:10
by whiskywill
xx
Wyevale 50p sale is on...

Started by surbie100 on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 08:01
by New shoot
xx
Wyevale sale

Started by snowdrops on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 06:52
by cadalot

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.