What I did on the plot today 2018

• 355 Replies

chillimummy

Re: What I did on the plot today 2018
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2018, 22:06 »
Started digging up my second earlies but soil so hard and dry.
Like rock  ;)
Added another sack of rabbit manure next to brassicas.
Lots to do after few weeks away but will get there.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2018, 12:56 »
I've been putting the hours in on the big plot for the last few days and I am nearly there with the clearing and digging over. 

Got green manure sown today as we have rain forecast (50p seed sale stuff).  Got the remaining cabbage and erbette weeded as well.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2018, 14:39 »
Woohoo the big plot is about done, apart from moving the contents of of the compost bins onto areas and digging that patch.  The compost is rock hard and needs some rain before I can do that.

From the bottom end you can see the compost bins that have been moved and are now refilling,  a couple of the compost piles behind them and the fenced area, which now has just some borage (left for the bees), the last few beans, the outdoor toms still hanging on.  The sunflowers at the top are setting seeds for the birds.  The space in front of the fenced area has been prepped for Wizard beans and overwintering garlic and shallots.

From the top end, there is some erbette under the blue water pipe and net tunnel, the tunnels set up for autumn greens and the area in front of them, which has been seeded with green manure.
IMG_2634.JPG
IMG_2635 (1024x768).jpg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 14:45 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2018, 10:47 »
Went on Sunday and cut down the old canes of the hybrid berries, plus de-tangled and tied up the new canes for next year.  The loganberry was fine.  The tayberry and boysenberry a little more scratchy, but I emerged relatively unscathed.

Popped up this morning to batten the hatches a little more and the green manure I sowed on 11th is all up  :D

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2018, 05:52 »
It was yesterday, but I forgot! After the barren summer months when succession sowings just wouldn't germinate, my plot is looking lush and green in places, it's lovely to see happy plants. The weeds have come up too of course! So, weeding, harvested carrots, beet, turnips, French beans, a few squash, courgettes, apples, swiss chard. Did a bit more hedge cutting where it had been left to get enormous.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: October 02, 2018, 20:27 »
Planted out various autumn greens, plus spring greens, chard and perpetual spinach to overwinter.  The overwintering onions and shallots went in as well.

Came home and pricked out and potted on all my perennial flower seedlings.  I sowed some old 50p sale packets a few weeks ago and the whole lot are now up and growing on  :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: October 02, 2018, 23:49 »
Sowed some grazing rye as a green manure and planted dill plugs out in the polytunnel.
Started placing my seed order with Suttons this evening, but at last minute switched to Justseed and the order was half the price!

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2018, 12:37 »
Monday had a nice bonfire and got rid of all the dead stuff, yesterday dug over and planted 4 rows, @120, winter onions. More digging today making the most of the mild and dry weather.

snowdrops

« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2018, 13:48 »
Turned some of the compost bins - 1 to another to get 1 empty 1, then filled that with a mix of fresh manure & bedding plants from the village hanging baskets that garden club emptied. Really don’t understand why no one else wants such a good source of compostable waste. Then harvested the rest of all the potatoes, then it was the turn of the ornamental gourds (hope our 2,1/2 yr old granddaughter likes them as I’ve grown them for her to play with😂) then pulled some carrots & picked beans & raspberries
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #309 on: October 07, 2018, 14:17 »
Busy but enjoyable morning, helped my son put up his polytunnel ,just the frame and the raised beds inside the cover will go on next spring and helped him plant apple,pear and plum trees. Then helped him put his 4 giant pumpkin in our larger polytunnel out of the frost. So proud of him enjoying with his plots he did very well with his this year and where we put up his tunnel is a new half plot where his is solely growing fruit.
Also planted another 24 cabbage (Durham early) in my polytunnel, watered them all .

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #310 on: October 10, 2018, 18:31 »
finished cutting down an off shoot of a plum tree (although the off shoot was as big as its mother) and burning the branches/digging out the root too!   mr goose was on hand (now he has retired to help :D).  my plot has just gained about 6 foot on that border! :D

with all his help (and the lovely weather), my plot has never looked this good going into winter and hopefully will be well prepared for the next growing season.

also, a good friend had just taken over the plot next to me.  although a novice, it is a superb plot, ready to go and the lovely previous owner has even handed over a folder for crop rotations, covered each cleared area with black plastic and left spare tools and a shed/water butt and composter....what a gift!!!!

what a lovely bonus day in October! :)

snowdrops

« Reply #311 on: October 10, 2018, 20:31 »
Fabulous day & yesterday was pretty good too😊. In the last 2 days I’ve cleared the spent ornamental gourd plants,courgettes & sweetcorn, weeded that bed as far as the chicory.cleared those 2 paths of weeds. Weeded a couple of other smaller areas. Sat & had lunch in the shade today as it was too warm in the sun😎

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2018, 18:26 »
The rain stopped around 3.30 so went down for a few hours,  mainly harvesting the last of the squash, tomatoes, beans, courgettes and pulling out the plants in the greenhouse. Sowed some random seed I  had left over into the cold ( and draughty) greenhouse, just as an experiment really. Collected apples.  This has been the first time I have really felt that things are shutting down.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2018, 21:01 »
Planted a new cox apple tree on M27 rootstock hope to train it into a fan shape. Mulched around with well rotted horse muck

Planted 8 thornless blackberries and hope to make an edible hedge with them

Watered my spring cabbage and Christmas potatoes in the polytunnel

An enjoyable 1.5 hours on the plot
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 21:04 by Offwego »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: October 15, 2018, 01:34 »
Took the nipper to the plot where we hid from the rain in the tunnel,clearing out a few of the chilli plants that have given up the ghost. He decided he wanted to try fresh chillies; Jalepeno were ok , but the Havana Gold were a bit hot for him, but he found it funny. As tough manly dad I of course ate one of the hotter chillies which was agony :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:34 by Plot 1 Problems »

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 55 queries.