My new allotment - pics.

• 7 Replies

ianjmatt

My new allotment - pics.
« on: January 28, 2009, 18:50 »
Well - I got my half plot two weeks ago now. Went to have a look at it - it was as bad as I imagined:

The kids seemed ot enjoy it anyway (although my 2 year old get on getting caught by the grass which distressed him rather a lot - but was pretty funny!!). Digging it has been really hard work, nearly there apart from weeding and raking. Of course, child labour helped:

The plan is that we are sharing it this year with our neighbours (and the kids best friends) - taking half each. This means I will have 4 beds, each 2m x 4m, a space for each of the kids, some fruit bushes at the top and then we'll have a shed/greenhouse that Jim (my neighbour) and I are building out of patio doors, shed bits and glass, a composter and places for lounging about. We're hopiing to create a veranda on the greenhouse/shed, and then with a gas ppowered fridge and some beers we'll be sorted!

So, there we are. A bit of a step up from the garden!
IMG00430 (1).jpg
IMG00435 (1).jpg

GreenOwl

Re: My new allotment - pics.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 15:19 »
Excellent.  Keep us posted!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 15:57 »
Hope it turns out big enough for you, the more you grow the more you want!
I hope the kids stay happy too, its a nice idea for them to have their own space,Im hoping my son will be a bit more interested this year now we've got a decent shed and can start from spring
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

ianjmatt

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 13:34 »
So three weeks on from those pics. We have most of the land now dug over once and we are now weeding through more carefully. Manure arrives this weekend and the next project is for my friend and I to build our hybrid greenhouse/shed out of three old patio doors, two shelf panels, some glass and a large piece of corrugated plastic. Should be a fun weekend.

IMG00454.jpg
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 13:36 by ianjmatt »

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 14:00 »
It's looking good. :)
I'm pretty new to this veg growing myself, so I may be wrong, but I think, as it's getting close to planting time now, it's a bit late for manure, unless it's well rotted and pyralid free.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

alfman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 18:27 »

Best of luck, and well done. You've done most of the hard work, now comes the fun bit. Keep posting the pics.

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 18:44 »
Great work, it looks very different now.

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 20:17 »
*Jealous*....I am still dreaming about my plot looking like that! :D lol  Looks fab in a really short space of time!
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

xx
my allotment pics

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 20:34
by AndyRVTR
xx
First Pics of the Allotment

Started by squiffy2 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 11:30
by squiffy2
xx
today at allotment......pics....

Started by spongebob on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 23:21
by woodburner
xx
stickmeup's new allotment and pics!

Started by stickmeup on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 21:16
by Lulu

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 39 queries.