Lame Chicken

• 11 Replies

Buffy Lilley

Lame Chicken
« on: August 06, 2013, 11:59 »
Does anyone have any suggestions for a chicken who has starting limping? There does not appear to be anything in her foot, which looks a normal size and colour. She is only in her second laying year so not old and is not being pecked but clearly has a problem putting her foot down, anyone experienced anything similar?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Lame Chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:26 »
Hello and welcome to the site Buffy Lilley.  If you have checked her feet and there is not sign of bumble foot or any cuts it could be that she has jumped down from something and landed hard.  If she is feeding and drinking alright and is able to get in and out of the coop I would just keep a close eye on her for it getting worse.  If she normally perches on a night I would try and see if she will sleep in the nest box or somewhere on the level.  Hopefully she will improve over the next few days.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:33 »
My light sussex bantam has also suddenly started limping. I am keeping an eye but no obvious sign of injury. She is young last spring hatch. No signs of her being pecked, she holds her own in the group. I will get her out for a really good look this evening as don't want to chase her around the garden and make limp worse. Will be interested to hear how your girl gets on Buffy Lilley. What would bumble foot look like? I suppose she could have sprained a leg trying to avoid amourous advances from Salvo  :)

splash101

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 14:02 »
The only time i've had a chicken limping was when she had wedged herself in a small gap between the shed and compost bin.
She had got the top of her breast and skin towards her wing stuck under the compost heap bin and i think in her attempt to free herself she may have strained a muscle which resulted in a limp. Which was strange given the area that she had trapped.
She was ok in a day or so.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 14:20 »
My light sussex bantam has also suddenly started limping. I am keeping an eye but no obvious sign of injury. She is young last spring hatch. No signs of her being pecked, she holds her own in the group. I will get her out for a really good look this evening as don't want to chase her around the garden and make limp worse. Will be interested to hear how your girl gets on Buffy Lilley. What would bumble foot look like? I suppose she could have sprained a leg trying to avoid amourous advances from Salvo  :)

If you google "pictures of bumblefoot in chickens" you will get loads of results.  ;)

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 21:25 »
arghhh Googled it and looked at complicated sqeamishy procedures. I looked at Georgie's feet. One looked like it could poss be bumblefoot. I washed feet in mild tcp solution and looked again and then did not seem as much like it. I have sprayed both her feet with septiclens violet (as well as my tee shirt - hope it comes out) and will look again tomorrow. How is your girlie Buffy Lilley

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54 »
This morning she is more hopping than limping - top speed to get to little treat (to compensate loss of the boys (another story  :(   )
She does seem a little 'off colour' even allowing for the purple feet :)
Wondering how Buffy Lilley is getting on.
I have recently started using miscanthus in bedding and it seems to me to have sharp bits. Might this have cause an injury?

barley

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 14:49 »
the only experience I have had with limping chooks is mareks disease

I'm not saying it's that but have a read up on it on google and see if your chooks symptoms are the same

never heard of bumble foot ANHBUC - is it common ?

I've had most ailments in my 10 years experience of chicken keeping but never come across this yet

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 21:34 »
the only experience I have had with limping chooks is mareks disease

I'm not saying it's that but have a read up on it on google and see if your chooks symptoms are the same

never heard of bumble foot ANHBUC - is it common ?

I've had most ailments in my 10 years experience of chicken keeping but never come across this yet

It can be quite common, I had to treat a bird with it which was quite easy to do if you are not squeamish.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 22:56 »
Did I read on here some time ago that a thick layer of vaseline works well on bumblefoot? apparently it smothers the mites and they die off.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 09:06 »
Are you thinking of scaly leg? That is caused by mites. I think  Bumblefoot is a staph bacterial infection.

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 09:14 »
Are you thinking of scaly leg? That is caused by mites. I think  Bumblefoot is a staph bacterial infection.

Yes it is. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
rather sad lame chicken

Started by maria gandy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 13:36
by compostqueen
xx
HELP - Lame Chicken

Started by SJC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 08:27
by Sassy
xx
Lame Chicken

Started by Binty on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post November 10, 2008, 15:52
by babe
xx
Lame 7 year old chicken

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2018, 05:36
by LILLILEAF

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.