KEEPING CHICKENS , just the facts no sentiment allowed

• 115 Replies

kooringa

• Experienced Member
    • http://kooringa.com
Quail
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2007, 23:07 »
Does anyone have any advice about keeping quail in a garden.  I already have bantams.

Are they noisy - could a broody bantam hatch out the eggs?

Are they easy to keep?

Any advice much appreciated
Visit my website to see my chickens, quail, allotment and much more -

Parrot

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2007, 23:47 »
Great thread Muntjac.  8)     Do you keep ducks?   If so,  how about a "Muntjac`s Duck keeping guide".  :)
Spring into Action with BTCV - 1 May - 7 June 2007. www.btcv.org/springintoaction
Help look after your local wildlife and green space - hundreds of fun and friendly eco-events across the UK.

Clodagh & Dick

• http://www.gardeninginspain.com/
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2007, 11:20 »
Quail are very easy to keep. Normally very quiet unlees a cock starts to prove who is boss...but noyjing like the noise of a bantam or budgie.....would be easy to keep on an apartment terrace. See no reason why a broody hen should sit on them...provided they are not rejected because of the smallsize.
Combined 40 years experience of gardening in Spain.  Authors of Your Garden in Spain, Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain,  Growing Healthy Fruit in Spain and Practical Gardening on the Costa http://www.gardeninginspain.com/

yorkshirerose

« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2007, 13:57 »
Quote from: "hazlet"
This is sad as though they  ate all my seedlings, plus many plants, they were good fun, to watch running around.

Because Im a total beginner when I get the chooks, are there any plants that I need to keep em away from ?
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

Clodagh & Dick

• http://www.gardeninginspain.com/
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2007, 08:15 »
Ours are in cages. They feed on grain and we occaisionally let them eat dandelions ..a crop on our allotment for salads and livestock. Suspect like most animals they sense what plants they can and cannot eat. Let our hens have a controlled romp around the garden at times...they immediately make for succullents!!!...even though shood away time after time!!!!
Like turtle doves ...have just come back from a weekend of talks/demonstrations to find our friendly doves that adopted us a couple of months ago have now built a nest in our hanging basket of petunias!!!

Tim Munslow

THE HEN HOUSE
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2007, 20:22 »
We have eight chickens (one ancient cock called Freddie - who's a wimp and goes indoors as soon as it rains and seven hens of several varieties mostly bantams).  Their house is a converted 1920's brick built pig-sty, with nesting boxes attached to the wall outside and an outer run entered thro' the pig-sty wall.

I kept them 15 years ago and then gave up because of the pressures of work, but now I am retired thought I'd keep them again, and am so glad I did.  Nothing like fresh eggs.

It is my theory that the garden feels a happier place with hens in it.
Worcester born and Worcester bred,
strong in the arm and strong in the head!

ivanhoe

The hen house
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2007, 15:03 »
hi everybody i`m new. I have kept chooks for nearly a year,after moulting i was getting 20 to22 eggs a day from 20 old hens around 4 years old & 12 p.o.l. hens .I am only getting 9 eggs a day now, what could be a reason for this. THANKS

paintpony2769

CHICKENS LOOSING BREAST FEATHERS
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2007, 23:19 »
I am really new to the whole raising chickens thing and by sheer dumb luck or guardian angels helping me I have managed to raise a few to adulthood. I do have a problem I need help with and will take any advice given. I have 3 20 plus pound roosters that have lost almost all of their breast feathers. There are no wounds and they really dont fight with each other they just like to eat and sit in the shade all day. I am a little concerned though, is this normal ???? They don't act like they are sick and they seem to be just fine otherwise. What is the cause of this and what do I do to stop it?? And no they aren't so fat that their breats scrape the ground!! Please help.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: CHICKENS LOOSING BREAST FEATHERS
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2007, 23:24 »
Quote from: "paintpony2769"
I have 3 20 plus pound roosters  
 :shock:   20 pounds ?  My chooks weigh about 3 pounds each.

Are you in USA  :?:   What type of birds are they  :?:

lucie

What is 'grit' and where do you buy it?
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2007, 12:02 »
'Grit' has been mentioned in many replies.  Why is it so important?
Don't the chickens eat grit from the ground everytime they peck for food?  Where can you buy it?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: What is 'grit' and where do you buy it?
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2007, 13:53 »
Quote from: "lucie"
'Grit' has been mentioned in many replies.  Why is it so important?
Don't the chickens eat grit from the ground everytime they peck for food?  Where can you buy it?

They need to eat it to grind their food in their crops, They probably won't find enough laying around after a while so it's best to provide it.

You can buy it a your local cattle market etc lots of small pet shops sell it as well.

Don't confuse it with crushed oyster shell which they also need, as far as I'm aware oyster shell won't do the job of grit, and definitely grit wont supply enough if any calcium.

HTH
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

lucie

'Grit' query
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2007, 14:53 »
Hi Rich

Many thanks for your reply to my 'grit' query.  I don't suppose you could offer any insight to my 'Feather plucking and eating them' query also posted today?

Yours hopefully

Lucie

P.S.  I'm most impressed with your pre-allotment photos, must have taken a lot of time and effort.

zen

keeping chickens
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2007, 11:03 »
Hi all

I am looking to get 2 chickens to keep in my garden; I live in a rural area. I have never looked after livestock before can you give me any advice.

Many thanks Zen

zen

« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2007, 11:07 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
WTG Karl
 they live in the back half of my shed with a 8' x 4' run at the side.  :D

how many chickens do you have, how big of a run would you give 2 hens so that you could keep em happy to give you eggs.

cheers zen

mkhenry

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2007, 22:37 »
Munty I used to keep chickens,just 3,in my back garden.Marron Browns.

I was given a Bantom cross,and the others pecked it so badly that myOH told me to get rid of the marrons and keep the bantom.because it used to come in the house and sit on her lap or wrist.

Once on her own she became broody,so I went down to a local farm selling free range eggs,candled them and chose 3.I put them in the box and 3 hatched out,Huge great things and great layers.

The thing is these eggs had been in the fridge and they still hatched,I knew it might work but nobody would believe me. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

xx
Governments advice on keeping chickens

Started by joyfull on Poultry FAQs and other Information

0 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 10:47
by joyfull
xx
keeping and breeding your own pheasants

Started by muntjac on Poultry FAQs and other Information

10 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 08:07
by rainie
xx
Rats and Chickens

Started by mambo on Poultry FAQs and other Information

38 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 12:56
by HPC
xx
On first buying chickens.

Started by Bodger on Poultry FAQs and other Information

17 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 14:10
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.