How do I secure my allotment

• 15 Replies

mimilovell

How do I secure my allotment
« on: March 16, 2014, 15:32 »
Hi

Im quite new to all this. And have been to my allotment a few times now, and been making friends. Ive been told there were some security problmes last year, with theives coming in stealing and damaging stuff. Im worried about it now. And wondering if anyone got a tips/ hints/ equiptment that would help me keep allotment safe.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
Re: How do I secure my allotment
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 15:51 »
Not a lot one plot holder can do except lock their shed IMHO! But our vandals some years back took offence and burned down sheds if they could not get in! So we upped the site security!
The best answer is to securely fence the site. The Council might if they own the site but the other option - what my site did - is to bid for lottery money and do a proper job! We've got a secure fence and security cameras powered by solar panels. No serious problems since then.

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 15:53 »
There isn't a great deal you can do unfortunately. Old wooden tools are best and of least interest to thieves. Generally people say don't lock your shed or tHey will force the door trying to get in (but check that with others on your site.)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 20:42 »
There isn't a great deal you can do unfortunately. Old wooden tools are best and of least interest to thieves. Generally people say don't lock your shed or tHey will force the door trying to get in (but check that with others on your site.)
I never lock my shed (I don't leave anything too valuable in their either) - other plot holders have had their doors forced when they've locked them. You can't win either way it seems! ::) :)

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 20:55 »
I have a potting shed on my allotment with an all glass front. It didn't stop someone who could clearly see what was in said shed from jimmying the padlock off and damaging the stable door to see what they could pilfer. Apparently my motley array of tools were not good enough for the local 'youths'. I now don't bother to lock it as there was more damage caused by forcing the lock off than anything actually taken. I just make sure there isn't anything left in there that I would get upset about if it went missing.

I have noticed that since the 'shed incident' where 30 sheds were broken into within a single night, mine being 1 out of the 30, a covert security camera is now up by the gate. It still won't stop someone from hopping over the low lying fence between us and the neighbouring playing field but I suppose it's a start.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 23:45 »
After hearing the horror stories from fellow plot holders I went for the high security approach, 6ft chain link fence, locked gates and locking bar across the front of the shed door, I have not been broke into but then again neither has anyone else  ??? Thinking about the costs involved it would of been cheaper to just cover the loss of any theft especially as I still do not keep anything of any great value on the plot  :dry: however in my case I did not just make the plot secure to keep the thieves at bay it was done with more than equal importance to make my autistic son feel comfortable enough to spend some time there.
Forum foto 1.jpg
forum foto 2.jpg

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:20 »
After hearing the horror stories from fellow plot holders I went for the high security approach, 6ft chain link fence

It depends on your local allotment rules and conditions - we are not permitted to erect fences (although "wind break" pallets/debris netting along short lengths are just about acceptable ... until someone complains ...)

My problem isn't so much theft from outsiders - we have good fencing and padlocked gates - but from within.  At first I thought I'd moved or misplaced wood for my raised beds and then I didn't go in for a fortnight and found half of my wood had been taken out of the beds.  Curiously, 4 plots up a tenant always seemed to be doing a lot of woodwork and peeked my suspicions.  The clincher was when my plastic chair was taken from my plot and guess where I found it?  When I reported the incident, all I was told was not to leave "valuables" at the site.  So I take all my tools to and from home with me despite having a shed, and I just use rubbish wood for raised beds (and even then, a few "good" pieces have disappeared)  My neighbour made a remark the other week that someone was taking the panes out of his greenhouse - I pointed out about the stormy winter weather and maybe they had got blown out, but strangely the pieces missing do seem to be in the sheltered parts of the plot and also conveniently out of view.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:41 »
Don't lock the shed as people then think you have something valuable in it.

Don't keep anything valuable in it but do lock your tools up, this is more to deter the borrowers from using your tools rather than stopping them being stolen. this could be a simple 1.99 combination chain for a pound type shop through the handles and attached to the shed.

Never leave petrol in the shed either as in our area we had a spat of shed burnings.
anti climb paint on all the gates and fence posts would be the sensible solution but unfortunatley there are some very silly rules around using this.

jondav14

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 21:15 »
keep all your valuable tools at home, don't lock your shed, the only thing you can't stop is if someone starts throwing stone/bricks at your greenhouse, most tealeaves are looking for stuff to sell on, lawnmowers, strimmers, rotavators, etc (stuff you can put up easily on ebay). And agree, no petrol stored, nothing to give the bar stewards an excuse to cause mayhem.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 21:17 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

sonic

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 11:02 »
Sad to say it but be prepared to lose everything that you leave on your plot whether locked up or not.  Once you have this mindset then, if anything does go, it may hack you off at the time but it won't be the end of the world.  All my stuff came from Wilko, Poundland, car boot sales or the inside of a skip and wouldn't cost much to replace.  Anything of any value (sentimental or monetary) comes home with me at the end of the session.  That said I've never had any problems in 12 years.  Another sad fact, when things do go missing it's generally another plotholder who needs what you've got so consider security marking your stuff in some way so you can identify it later when you see someone using something remarkably similar to your missing item on their plot.  This doesn't mean you should become paranoid about losing stuff or viewing everyone with suspicion but regard the world as it really is with a healthy balance.  Above all enjoy your plot and good luck!!!   

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 18:30 »
Just be aware that there are some plot holders who like to think that they can help themselves to pumpkins come the end of October. We always take ours home in good time now.

And don't be put off my the possibility of thefts etc as the good parts far outweigh the angst this causes if it happens  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Ema

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 20:25 »
I'm not allowed a shed on site but we are allowed a tool chest, the site is quiet remote so security isn't a huge problem. Generally I take tools to and from the plot and if I'm being lazy I throw them under some weed membrane

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 17:26 »
i dont think it is 100% possible to stop all theft, i went up my plot where i had the pigs and someone had stolen all the fruit trees i planted 2 years ago. 3 apples, pear, plum and cherry.   :mad:

wendyg

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 17:58 »
I have a metal shed and used to padlock it until someone almost wrenched the door of.  I now don't lock it and take tools home.  What really annoyed me was when someone stole my greenhouse water butt, that I spent ages 'plumbing' in!

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 18:50 »
All our plots have a security fence along the back, individual access doors and fencing of various types between. Doesn't stop the thieves. I don't leave anything apart from cheapo spade,fork etc in the shed.

I take everything else down in a re-useable supermarket bag. (Drill, etc).

Cudders

xx
How do you secure cloche?

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2018, 18:44
by andreadon
xx
How to secure netting

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 17:12
by DigIt
xx
How to secure crop covers eg Environmesh

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 17:05
by hightide
xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 20:55
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 39 queries.