chicken behaving strangely...

• 19 Replies

Nats

« on: June 05, 2008, 19:58 »
Hi everyone...I really hope you can help calm my newbie nerves here...

I've read through lots of previous posts on ill/strange chickens and none seem to describe exactly what's happening with my chicken, so I hope you don't mind me asking another question about this!

Basically, all day today, the most lively, perky, inquisitive of my chickens has just been lying down with her eyes closed, or standing up with her eyes closed. She isn't making any noise. She is very lethargic and moves slowly unless I go to pick her up. She is eating ok, though MUCH less and more slowly, but not drinking. I managed to get her to eat mixed corn that I had mixed with cider vinegar and cod liver oil.

I'm not sure whether I'm correct in thinking she has a temperature- I held her on my lap for a while and she just lay there and fell asleep (she's never done that before) but my lap was really hot after she finally jumped down. She's also been hunching over.

She's POL but I'm pretty sure she's not egg bound, her wattles and comb are still very under-developed, though they are growing slowly. I was putting off asking for advice until tomorrow morning, but she's just put herself to bed 1 1/2 hours early...and now I'm REALLY worried.

I would be grateful for any advice, no matter how small.

Much thanks,

Nats

Foxy

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 20:19 »
Hi Nats-
How long have you had her and how old is she exactly?
Does she feel hot compared to the other hens -you could check under the wing when they are roosting and quiet. If she has an infection will need antibiotics from the vet.
There are a few things it could be- need a bit more info first.
What are her droppings like -watery,loose or normal?
Hopefully she wil perk up tommorrow
Good luck

Nats

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 20:24 »
Hi Foxy, thanks for replying so quickly.

Her droppings are normal, though there are less of them as she hasn't been eating as much.

I've had her for 4 weeks and she was 16-17 weeks when I got her.

Does that info help?

Thanks,

Nats

Nats

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 20:30 »
Oh, and she hasn't started laying yet either.

Just went to check on her up on her perch and she either growled or wheezed at me, I'm not sure which!

peggyprice

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 21:06 »
Quote from: "Nats"
Oh, and she hasn't started laying yet either.

Just went to check on her up on her perch and she either growled or wheezed at me, I'm not sure which!

Isn't that a sign of going broody ?  Foxy'll know ...
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Nats

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 22:09 »
Can they go broody if they haven't started laying?

Just checked on her in the coop and she's standing up with her eyes closed :(

peggyprice

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 22:37 »
Don't know ...

Have you checked her crop? And have you checked for mites?  Or possibly egg bound? (not sure, but maybe if she's just starting laying things haven't got going properly yet).

I had a hen who displayed very similar symptoms, we decided in the end she must have had a stroke - but lots of other people here seem to describe similar symptoms for a variety of reasons. Which isn't a lot of help, sorry!

If you think she's hot probably worth trying to get her to a vet in the morning - if she's got an infection of some sort she'll need antibiotics.

PS IF SHE'S NOT DRINKING you need to get fluids into her regularly - use a small syringe and if poss some Dioralyte (get it from the chemists), hold her beak open and squirt a little at a time as far down her throat as you can - give her time to swallow, then do it again.  REALLY REALLY important to keep her fluid levels up  :!:

Let us know how you go ...

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 22:45 »
what breed is she Nats?
I think she probably wheezed at you tonight.
When you let them out in the morning have a look at her crop and see if it is empty -it should be first thing. Compare to the others if not sure.
Keep an eye out for any breathing problems, wheezing, sneezing, breathing with her beak slightly open.
Sorry its a lot to look for particulary if unfamiliar with chickens! The problem is they are usually quite ill if presenting with symptoms. They cover the fact they are unwell -so seem to go downhill very quickly unfortunately.
It is probably going to need a trip to the vet by the sound of it.
Keep us posted how she looks in the morning.
Everthing crossed for her!

Nats

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 09:12 »
Hi Foxy and Peggy, thanks very much for your advice.

She came out of the coop looking much better this morning and was eating and drinking again. I'm so happy she's drinking. More slowly than normal but less slowly than yesterday.

Her tail's also pointing up (yesterday it was more down as she hunched over). She seems less lethargic and is walking around a bit more but every now and then she still doses off standing up. I'm keeping an eye on her and will keep you posted.  

She's an Amber, no crop problems as far as my inexperienced hands can feel, they don't have mites but I treated them last week anyway.

She is doing a funny breathing thing though, when she inhales she kind of sucks in her throat area very noticeably and it releases when she exhales. My other chicken doesn't do that but is a Rhode Island...maybe it's a difference in breeds? Or should I be worried?

Thanks so much for your help...

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 10:30 »
if she's 16 or 17 weeks old she's too young to lay eggs. 22 to 24 weeks would be more usual and one of mine waited til 27 weeks

maybe she doesn't like cod liver oil cider vinegar on her corn  :D   they have cider vinegar in their drinking water (1/4 tspn) so that way they don't taste it

kizza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:11 »
Compostqueen - if she's 16 or 17 weeks old she's too young to lay eggs. 22 to 24 weeks would be more usual

As Nats said she got the birds 4 weeks ago when they were 16/17 weeks old, so will now be 20/21 weeks old.  :wink:

Nats

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 12:19 »
The only reason I put vinegar on her corn yesterday is that she was refusing to drink!! She didn't complain though.  :wink:

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 12:39 »
Glad to read she is a lot better today! :D

I dont think the breed in this instance is a factor. However, I would keep a close eye on her breathing. Monitor over the next few days for any nasal or eye discharge.

Just a note - check its not an enviromental problem thats making her breathing a bit funny -check there is plenty of ventilation in the hen house and that the bedding is dry.(It has been rather wet of late!) dust extracted wood shavings as bedding is good with straw (Not hay) in nest boxes.

Chickens can suffer with respiratory problems unfortunately. But sounds like your hen is well on the way to recovery! :D

peggyprice

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 14:06 »
Good news Nats, and fingers crossed she'll continue to improve  :lol:

Nats

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 15:01 »
Thanks again for the advice Foxy. I will go and give a the hen house another clean out now. I don't use hay, so at least I'm doing something right!

She seems a bit perkier than a couple hours ago so I'm feeling alot calmer. Must have been the corn with cider vinegar...new medecine!  :lol:

I am so grateful for your help, my OH isn't thinks I'm strange to even be worrying about a chicken's symptoms so it's good to hear honest advice.

I'll let you know how she is later and will try to figure out putting up a photo..you haven't seen what they look like yet!

Nats.

xx
Chicken acting strangely

Started by PJM on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 16:32
by grinling
xx
Chicken behaving badly!!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 22:40
by smileysal
xx
my chicken is behaving strangly

Started by johnmortimore on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 22:45
by grinling
question
Why are they behaving like it???

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 21:18
by ehs284

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 38 queries.