can i use shredded paper?

• 4 Replies

monkeyboysee

« on: January 16, 2009, 09:35 »
hi,

i can ghet as much shredded paper as i want from work, can i use it in the coop, etc? the compound i am going to build is kind of internal, so has a permamnent roof.
do it today, tomorrow it might be illegal

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40 »
Some people use it in the nest boxes but I think it gets damp pretty quick, but is obviously free so can be changed often.

Most folks use wood shavings or horse bedding on the floor of the coop and/or straw in the nest boxes. There's lots of products about so have a read on the forum and see what works for you.

Rob 8)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:15 »
I use it in the nest boxes, I've tried it as bedding but they eat it  :roll:  and like Rob says it does get damp quick.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
paper
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 17:05 »
Hi I have tried shredded paper but they thought it was food so I don't use it any more. However they also eat saw shavings so this is not much better. They like their straw and if you look at the bottom of the nest box you should find lots shredded by the hens they love making and fussing over their nests. I keep them topped up with fresh straw and use the shredded straw in their house. You still need to change the straw in the nesting boxes. I have put a layer of play sand at the bottom of the house to try and make it warmer and easier to clean. I don't and a litter tray and the floor is slatted so is a pain to clean properly.

Spadefighter

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 18:06 »
We use shredded paper in the house and nest box, mainly because its free and composts quickly. Any damp or soiled paper is taken out daily and chucked on the heap or dug in as it is. The only downside we have found is that it gets everywhere!

xx
Shredded paper

Started by Louise on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 23:42
by Fat Hen
xx
Shredded paper

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 18:53
by peggyprice
xx
Shredded paper for bedding?

Started by Wheelchair Gardener on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 19:48
by Poolfield2
xx
shredded paper bedding

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 22:34
by hazelize_uk

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 38 queries.