Three little maids update

• 23 Replies

BobE

Re: Three little maids update
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 23:33 »
I was hoping to avoid this pecking lark when I got three chicks but here were are :(  Anyone found repeatedly pecking goes in a box for an hour or two.  She's only a baby and can't take it from two of them!

Coop needs more ventilation now.  Its all go.

The chicken version of the naughty step.  :)

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 12:34 »
Yes >:(

All three peaceful now but not a group yet.  Hope this works out soon :unsure:
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 20:55 »
Almost afraid to write this as people may think I'm a BAD person... :wub:

After disrupting my happy family by exchanging my boy for a new girl (8 weeks younger) I was amazed at how gorgeous she was.  So tame - happy to be picked up and rest happily on my lap etc.  It was a revelation as my lavender was so timid from the start and the least likely to take food from my hand.

So I churned it over - as we are already in a state of disruption and pecking (little new girl following older girls around who chase her away) I decided to exchange my timid lavender for a younger one.  The breeder was fine about it.  So now I have two younger girls who are friends and one older one who wonders where her friends have gone and will bully the younger two until she accepts them.  I'll bring her in now and then to give them a break.

I dug and sifted a dust bath zone which they loved - they forgot to peck each other.

Hoping this will settle in a few days and I think if this is long term (don't they live for seven years)? it might as well be just right.    Oh the guilt :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 21:28 »
I am not surprised that your older one is wondering what is happening, it must be so unsettling for her.  I would try not to interfere too much and let them get on with establishing the pecking order.  You only need to intervene if blood is drawn otherwise she will probably continue to attack them to make sure she is top of the pecking order.

I hope that this is the final change nerdle as it is not good for any of them being so unsettled.   :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 08:53 »
I know I know - I feel truly awful!!!  I did think - OK two big hens two little.... but this is a long term decision. Exchanging Lavvy was selfish and unnecessary. But they will all be a same size pretty soon and it should come right. 

I think where I was naive was in thinking that getting chicks young and handling them a little each day would make them tame.  I now believe nothing can make them tame - it's in their nature from the start.

I could not go through this again so this is it now. They have long and happy lives ahead of them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 10:52 »
they can all be tamed it just takes a while to gain the trust of some birds.
Staffies are softer than you think.

barley

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 11:36 »
its amazing just how chooks squabble - just like naughty sibblings

they need time to settle and sort out the pecking order - to much human intervention can make a bad situation worse

I have one little welsh summer who is so bullied but it is because she is so timid - she is constantly chased away from the food and last to be allowed in and out of the box but I never intervene as blood is not drawn , it's just how chooks treat each other

all I do in her case is make sure she gets food when all the others have finished eating and lift her on the perch when everyone is settled in their favourite spot for the night - there is no reason to separate her - believe it or not she is a vey happy chook considering

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 15:30 »
Tried to upload a photo here about 4 times - given up!  The screen just goes white.

In two months I didn't see any change in my flighty hen - maybe I should have given it longer but she truly hated being handled in any way - like the photo I gave up hope.

I just wanted three friendly girls - now I've finally got them.  No squabbling now and all dust bathing as I type.

Took a year and half to get here as my last adopted hen wasn't really my goal (but I loved her just the same).

BobE

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 16:07 »

xx
three little maids

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 00:11
by ANHBUC
xx
There here !! 10 Day update

Started by Numptyone on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 22:28
by Anndee
xx
Broody Update!

Started by lukasmum on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 08:58
by lukasmum
xx
First egg and update (with pics ;) )

Started by Nicki85 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 08:53
by Nicki85

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 40 queries.