Warning! cold weather in bound.. THE SEQUEL!

• 40 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Warning! cold weather in bound.. THE SEQUEL!
« on: February 09, 2018, 13:06 »
Just a reminder that Spring may be colder than we were hoping it would be  :(
All the weather forums are buzzing because charts are predicting a Sudden Stratospheric Warming event, where the polar vortex splits, causing very cold weather to blow in from the East - probably the last weeks of Feb/beginning of March :ohmy:
https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/961289736903118848

explained here by the MetO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YaLbJIycVE
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:55 by mumofstig »

Goosegirl

Re: Early sowings may be a problem with cold weather forecast
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 13:15 »
I don't see the need for early sowing because it's not just the weather that's problematic but also the growth will be minimal with the short days. Later sowings will catch up and produce stronger plants.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 13:52 »
That's great if late cold weather won't affect you - I was trying to warn the peeps who, like me, do like to make early sowing.
We all know who they are   :lol:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 14:59 »
That's great if late cold weather won't affect you

Guess that's us in tropical Blackpool, last time we saw snow was on the news the other week  :lol: :lol:
Oh to be cold :unsure:

Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 15:28 »
That's great if late cold weather won't affect you - I was trying to warn the peeps who, like me, do like to make early sowing.
Yes, I couldn't wait, so I'm one of the club.  To make matters worse, today we have had several power cuts, so the heated propagators in the greenhouse won't have been on properly.
Ahh well!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 15:34 »

Moi - one of the club - never :unsure:  :nowink:  :lol:

I think a bit of windowsill shuffling is in order over the next few weeks.  All mine are doing fine so far and will graduate out into the mini plastic greenhouse inside the main greenhouse as and when, although by the sound of it, the peppers and aubergines will be fixtures indoors for a while. 

I still think its worth doing some stuff early.  Peppers and aubergines don't actually catch up, they just fruit later and often run out of summer before you get anything.  Early cabbage always does better for me started early inside as well, rather than trying to overwinter it outside.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 16:44 »
My very early stuff is minimal. The delicate stuff would in the house until well into March anyway and the few brassicas and onions are happy sitting in the greenhouse at a minimum of 5C.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stewarty

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 17:50 »
I'm one of those who find it very difficult to delay sowing seeds indoors. For years it happened in January. For the past couple of years I've been proud of my patience in delaying till February. This year it was a bright warm day in our south-facing conservatory that tempted me. I use 24-section seed trays that just fit into my 2 heated propagators, plus other ones that get arranged on the conservatory shelves. So, a total of 120 seeds  - various varieties of tomato, peppers, aubergines, and cucumbers.
The thing is, I KNOW that seeds sown later catch up, don't get leggy so easily, and will be much less hassle. But I do it all the same. My latest theory is that this silliness is related to SAD, and is one way of trying to force the spring and the summer brightness to hurry along....
But the weather forecasts for the rest of February make it look as if my folly will be punished!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 08:34 »
My latest theory is that this silliness is related to SAD, and is one way of trying to force the spring and the summer brightness to hurry along....

If it makes you happy and the worse that will happen is a few plants get a bit too leggy, then what's the harm. Aubergines and peppers are easy enough to manage inside.  Cukes and toms are a bit of a challenge for me early on as I have an old house with small windows.  If I had a conservatory, that would be a different matter  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 09:19 »
  Cukes and toms are a bit of a challenge for me early on)

Toms, yes. Cukes, never! You can bury tomatoes further down the stem as you pot them on, if you do that with cucumbers, you give them another reason to commit suicide!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 09:25 »
I have the luxury of a frost free greenhouse, and a nice cold polytunnel too. It does help my itchy fingers with early peas and mangetout, module sown beetroot and of course the chillies and aubergines. I have decided against early tomatoes, but anything remotely cucumber-like will be waiting until April.

I did direct sow some radishes in the polytunnel to see how they go. Two chances, and I have plenty more seed. Early brassicas are firmly outside (just  a few of each) and the broad beans will be joining them soon, with some more module sown spring onions

BUT with cold weather set to continue, I shall be using cloches inside the PT to warm the soil a little earlier for carrots and lettuce.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:27 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 12:50 »
The SSW did happen as per forecast and the predicted cold weather will probably arrive from the 22nd and last for at least a couple of weeks. Some of the charts show some seriously cold temperatures  :ohmy: well into March - so I really hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm certainly putting sowings on hold for a while, and might have to think about bringing the early stuff that is already in the greenhouse, back into the house again.
I've still got wood and smokeless fuel in the shed, so I can always light the stove if my aged/inefficient central heating needs topping up  ::)

The 2nd half of this covers it
Weather for the week ahead - BBC Weather
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 13:11 by mumofstig »

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 13:40 »
I can't imagine much worse early spring weather than that we have had all week and expect to continue with for the next couple of weeks. Lying snow, gale-force SE winds, night frosts and maximum daytime temperature at about 3C. Looks like we might get a brief milder interlude at weekend and then back to Baltic conditions

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 06:00 »
Weather forecast looking cold until the third week of March at least,  not a lot we can do about it, but as the light comes back but certainly not the warmth, not for the first or last time I wish I had a conservatory/warm greenhouse! Ah well, you cut your cloth etc......

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 08:55 »
Me too! Got the greenhouse but no heat for it, alas.
I think the house will be full of seed trays by mid-March  :nowink:
I've been keeping an eye on the modelling, but as the chance of the unusually cold weather is still about a week away, it's too early to know exactly where it is going to go.

That said, at the weekend, I did chop some more kindling for the stove, and fill up some coal buckets in case I need to use it   :lol:

xx
A severe weather warning sign

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post August 14, 2022, 12:16
by mrs bouquet
xx
hip op 6 wks on Warning

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2018, 23:10
by LILLILEAF
xx
WARNING

Started by wapello on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post November 07, 2018, 12:27
by Plot 1 Problems
angry
Windows 10 Update Warning

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 14, 2017, 21:37
by grinling

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 54 queries.