Growing Carrots and Parsnips in the same spot next year !

• 5 Replies

garddwr

Hi,

We've built 2 deep raised beds for growing root crops - carrots in one and parsnips in the other they are on concrete and filled with topsoil and gravel/stones at the bottom for drainage.

The carrots are great and the taste is just fantastic :)

The parsnips are looking so healthy but under DD.'s warning I haven't dared pull one up yet.

The reason we built them was because of the wireworms is our soil and it's a bit on the heavy side so root crops were are never succesful.

The closest thing  I can do to rotating them is swapping the carrots and parsnips round.

Is this alright do you think or am I going to encounter some problems ?

What should I do to the soil ? 

Thanks

G

AndyRVTR

Re: Growing Carrots and Parsnips in the same spot next year !
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 14:11 »
I wouldnt have thought you would have any major problems other than the usual carrot fly... as for the soil, I would definately add some sand to your topsoil just to make it easeir for the roots to grow.... There is nothing stopping you growing other crops in the same beds..  :)

garddwr

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 17:56 »
Thanks Andy :)

Fingers crossed I haven't had any carrot fly yet I think the beds are just about tall enough.

What about adding compost or manure perhaps ?

I'll definatley add a dressing of Fish Blood Bone or Bonemeal in the spring before sowing.

Thanks

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 18:29 »
Thanks Andy :)

Fingers crossed I haven't had any carrot fly yet I think the beds are just about tall enough.

What about adding compost or manure perhaps ?

I'll definatley add a dressing of Fish Blood Bone or Bonemeal in the spring before sowing.

Thanks

The "grow 'em high" technique for beating carrot-fly usually implies a height of at least 2 1/2 feet to have a good chance of working. If your beds are lower than that compared with the surrounding land and you didn't use environmesh you have been lucky, especially with the carrots (parsnips usually only show a bit of canker damage after carrot-fly attack whereas carrots can be ruined.)

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

slugwarrior

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:14 »
Hi,

I am planning to do the same thing this year on the allotment. my soil is clay and stony and any root crops never seem to get bigger than an inch....hardly get past germination. i grew some at home this year in a raised bed with some lovely sandy topsoil and was blown away. i thought i just couldn't grow root crops. so its not personal at all its just the soil on the allotment. so they will get a dedicated root crop bed and the rotation plan will just have to go to pot........ leafmould and compost best for roots. manure will just make them fork.  although there is always a place for comedy vegetables i feel

Spudman

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 11:41 »
What could happen if you just rotated carrots with parsnips every year in the same soil?
Is it likely there would be any build up of disease?

Spudman

xx
growing carrots and parsnips in old water bottles?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 19, 2007, 15:18
by WG.
xx
leeks parsnips carrots tube growing

Started by duncan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 11:20
by duncan
xx
growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
by mtoyne
xx
Growing sweetcorn in the same spot 2 years running

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2022, 15:08
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 39 queries.