Floor for metal shed ?

• 26 Replies

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« on: June 20, 2007, 01:49 »
I was thinking of buying this metal shed :

But it doesn't come with a floor. Do you think pallets would be enough to keep it off the ground and also to use as the floor for the shed? I would fill the gaps in the pallets with planks from other pallets. I just need to find some pallets lol :D

If not, what else do you suggest?

Thanks
http://www.pathlights.com/nr_encyclopedia/images/gardening.gif[/img]Froggy with a little piece of England...

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:51 »
Same question with this one, although this one comes with a osb floor :

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:53 »
While I am at it : the metal shed is 115£ and the wooden one is 155£ (incl. delivery).

Any tips for similar prices sheds?

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:42 »
I had a similar metal shed. I would use some paving slabs to keep the bottom frame off the soil, you will probably find it an advantage to fix the frame to the slabs with screws and rawplugs. You could always cut a piece of waterproof plywood to fit inside the floor frame.

Although it was metal the shed I had was quite lightweight, fixing it to the slabs would help to stop it moving in heavy winds

:wink:

ps what are you doing on the pc at 2.15 in the morning ?

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:44 »
Sorry 1.53 in the morning.
Have you thought of a plastic shed, one problem with metal is condensation inside the shed.

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:23 »
Hi Donald!

I finish work at midnight. I stack shelves in Wilkinson  :wink: When I come home, I am wide awake, so it takes a few hours before I feel ready to go to bed  :? So you will often find me around this time on the forum  :D

Thanks for the tip! Where do I get paving slabs from? :D They must be really heavy (and expensive?), aren't they?

Do you think pallets are no good then?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:40 »
Join your local Freecycle Groups and keep your eyes open for people giving away slabs.

The Harlow one is here..

HARLOW

The other Essex ones you can find here...

ESSEX

If you don't know the ethos behind Freecycle, it's basically passing items on at no cost, rather than dumping them.

You may have to sort out how to get the slabs back home though!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:00 »
I know freecycle. I have given away some furniture on it :wink: . But I do find it hard to read it. It looks like you can only read the first message and the rest is done by email. That is a bit annoying because then you have to look for other posts to make sure it hasn't been taken before you ask for something you have seen. Or maybe it is me who doesn't know how to use it ?

I should go on it more regurlarly you are right. Do they give away sheds as well ? :D

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:14 »
I have just looked on b&q website. They sell paving slabs for £1.29 each (40x40cm). Not bad ! I was expecting much more. And also, for some reasons, I was imagining them much bigger, about 1x1m lol ! Language problems probably  :lol: (I am French  :wink: ).

Now that I know exactly what we are talking about, yes, it makes sense to use that! Thanks again for the idea  :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 10:21 »
Quote from: "Petite graine"
It looks like you can only read the first message and the rest is done by email. That is a bit annoying because then you have to look for other posts to make sure it hasn't been taken before you ask for something you have seen. Or maybe it is me who doesn't know how to use it ?

I should go on it more regurlarly you are right. Do they give away sheds as well ? :D

They give anything away - folk on this forum have picked up greenhouses!

I don't understand your problem in reading the messages. If you go direct to the group itself, you immediately see quite a few recent messages. On the lefthand menu, if you click 'Messages', you can view them all.

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:30 »
Imagine this forum here where only the first messages of each subject would appear. The rest (the answers to a topic) would be done by email. Do you see the problem ?

Personnaly, I think that all the answers should appear and only the personal details should be given by email  :wink:

That way, you would know exactly what is happening about the item advertised, if it has attracted a lot of interest or not, if it has been taken already or not, or the questions and answers about the item.

I am guessing it must be also quite annoying when you are giving away something to keep receiving inquiries long after the item has been given  :? You have to make sure you do another topic to say that it is gone and hope that everyone has read it, don't you?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 11:47 »
I'm with you know.

With our local groups the moderators advise that anyone giving items away should wait for 24 hrs to give time for all to see it, whether they view via email, daily digest or whatever. Then decide to whom they should give the item. This gives everyone a fair chance, not first come, first served.

crowndale

Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 15:09 »
I usually wait the 24 hours too though its not in our rules and regs etc.  I wouldn't want everyones replies to be public because some items attract so much interest you'd never get through your mail!  Its bad enough having to wade through 60 plus freecycle messages a day in addition to the disability support groups I am on!  Some days I get 150 messages.  But to give the itme away the choice i make is usually fairly random though sometimes the replies suggest that some person is more in need of the item than others, but thats a fairly subjective way to do it!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

tinshed

metal shed floor
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 19:37 »
I have a metal shed.  It's fine but they are very light and can be overturned in strong wind if they are not either fixed to the ground or contain heavy weights.  I have installed a plywood floor and put some paving stones on it to weigh the whole shed down.

The manufacturers actually suggest a concrete floor to which the shed is screwed.  Can't be bothered with that on an allotment.

Ice

• muck spreader
Floor for metal shed ?
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 21:59 »
Accueillir au forum Petit Graine (excuse my French).

I have a greenhouse that needs a base so if you used B&Q paving as PG said, what ratio sand to cement would you need to lay them on.  In the absence of a cement mixer do you wet the mix before laying?  If so, how much?  Hints on getting a level finish also needed.
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Condensation in metal shed

Started by noshed on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 22:02
by digalotty
xx
Guttering for metal shed

Started by ghost61 on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2014, 06:04
by ghost61
xx
Yardmaster Metal Shed UPDATE

Started by black diamond on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 18:10
by Trillium
xx
attatching metal shed to flag stone base

Started by lilly2k3 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 31, 2007, 18:29
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 39 queries.